Chapter 41

A/N: This chapter has a portion that deals with rape and other sensitive topics. If that's triggering for you, I marked the beginning and end of the section, so you can just skip it! Happy reading!
——————————————————-

"So, I had something that I wanted to tell you." I said carefully to Shika. I've been an anxious mess since leaving Tsunade's office. I really don't know how he's going to react to this, and it's terrifying. He honestly could leave me, and I'd have very little right to complain. I can't think about that though. I need to calm down, and just do it. If Naruto can forgive me, surely Shika can too. He looked at me curiously and raised an eyebrow as I felt a familiar anxiety course through me.

"What is it?" He asked. I took a deep breath and prepared myself for a long, possibly angry conversation. I have to do it. He deserves to know.

"Well, I-"

"Kaori! Shikamaru!" I heard Kakashi call. I groaned and looked his way. I guess he's finally out of the hospital. That's good at least. But he has horrible timing. "Tsunade wants both of you for a mission." He said as he approached us. I sighed and felt my heart drop into my stomach.  I guess this conversation can wait until later. 

"What a drag." Shika grumbled. I laughed slightly. Everything is a drag to him. I find it amusing.

"Right now? Both of us?" I asked Kakashi. He nodded

"She didn't tell me why. She just told me to find both of you." He shrugged. I nodded and stood up, as did Shika, and we all made our way to the Hokage's office. When we got there, Sakura, Naruto, Sai and Yamato were already there. I raised an eyebrow. Are all of us going on a mission? This is a huge group.

"Good, you found them, Kakashi. Okay. I have three missions for Team Kakashi plus Shikamaru." She said and looked at her paper that lists missions.

"Three?" Naruto questioned. "But my training!" He yelled. I raised an eyebrow.

"Training?" I asked. He nodded aggressively.

"Kakashi-sensei is teaching me a new jutsu, believe it!" He yelled. I narrowed my eyes at Kakashi who rolled his eye.

"No fair! I want to learn a new jutsu!" I complained. Both Kakashi and Shika sighed.

"I have something I want to teach you too, Kaori, but you were a little preoccupied." He said bluntly. I rolled my eyes.

"Not my fault that I actually have a damn social life." I grumbled and crossed my arms over my chest.

"What a drag." Shika muttered.

"Anyways!" Tsunade interrupted. "Kakashi, I have a solo infiltration mission for you in the Hidden Waterfall Village." She said and handed Kakashi a scroll with the mission information on it. I raised an eyebrow. Solo? I usually go on those with him. "Yamato, Naruto, Sakura, and Sai, I have an investigation mission for you at the Fire Temple. Yamato will be acting caption in place of Kakashi." She said and handed Yamato a scroll. I cocked my head to the side. I didn't hear my name. What's going on? "And Kaori and Shikamaru, I have an infiltration and assassination mission for you two. Kaori will be captain." She said and handed me a scroll. My eyes widened.

"Me and Shika? You never let us do missions together." I said skeptically and opened the scroll and began to read through the information. My heart started pounding loudly when I read the contents of the scroll. She wants me to lead this? I don't know if I can.

"And I've never done an assassination mission before." Shika added. I rolled my eyes. Tsunade sighed.

"I'll admit, I'd rather have a more experienced team, but you two are the only ones available who can do this mission believably." She said. I looked up from the scroll with wide eyes and anxiety coursing through me.