Chapter 22

"Does she always fall asleep on the roof?" Asuma's voice woke me up, but I kept my eyes closed. I hope they just go away, because I'm more comfortable than I've been in a long time. I want to sleep more. I haven't had a good nights sleep in ages. I deserve it.

"She's snuck out every night." Ino answered.

"Why wasn't I invited? I'm much better looking than him." I heard Takashi say bitterly. Wait. I'm confused. Him? The only other person on this mission is Shika. I finally realized what happened, and I fought back the blush as that would clue them in that I'm awake. Great. Not again. Why does this always happen?

"Shikamaru is her best friend." Asuma said in a matter of fact tone. Yeah! He is! This isn't weird, right? Maybe they'll think the same and just go away, and we can just not talk about this ever again.

"She's been really down about Kakashi and Sasuke. I bet Shikamaru was talking to her about it, and they fell asleep." Ino answered. I have to say, she may be a weird fan girl, but she's pretty smart. Sakura and Naruto would have instantly jumped to the conclusion that we must be in love and sneaking off to be together or something like that. At least Ino has common sense.

"I could do that! I want to help her feel better! I hate seeing my beautiful Kaori so sad!" Takashi said dramatically. I cringed inside. He's so creepy.

"I mean, you've known her for four days, and she's been sad all four of them." Asuma grumbled. Even he seems to be growing tired of Takashi's near obsession with me. Good. Maybe he can do something to stop it. I don't have much more patience in me for Takashi.

"But think of how beautiful she would be happy!" He said in a swooning voice. I can just imagine the hearts he probably has in his eyes, and I cringed. Gross.

"Kakashi will kill me if I do nothing." I heard Asuma mutter. "She's not interested. I would stop flirting with her." He said firmly, in an almost intimidating voice. I can tell he doesn't really care though, other than for the reason that it's annoying, and Kakashi would be upset if something happened to me.

"Should we wake them up?" Ino asked.

"Good luck. I say get breakfast without them, and they can catch up." Asuma said with a sigh before I heard all of their footsteps recede off of the roof.

I opened my eyes and sat up before blushing bright red when I saw what position I was in. I was so comfortable because I was using Shika as a pillow while I slept. What the hell was I thinking?! Sure, I can be impulsive, but with this? I let out a deep sigh and stood up, brushing off the dirt from my pants before shaking Shika to wake him up. He didn't budge. I raised an eyebrow. Is this what Asuma meant by 'good luck?' I sighed. If only I could use water jutsus. I could wake him up with that. I guess if I used a very small amount of lightning, it wouldn't be too bad. I smirked. That's it! I'll use just enough to shock him, but not too much. I channeled lightning to the tip of my finger like Kakashi showed me to for sword fighting, and I touched my finger to Shika's arm, making him instantly jump up, hands ready to use his shadow possession. I jumped back and put my hands up in defense.

"What the hell, Kaori!" He yelled before relaxing his hands as to not be threatening to me. I relaxed a little bit and gave him a closed eye smile.

"You wouldn't wake up." I shrugged and smirked at him.

"So you used lightning to wake me up?" He asked pointedly. I nodded.

"I can't use water." I said matter of factly. He narrowed his eyes at me and mumbled under his breath. I started laughing, and pretty soon he started laughing with me. Good! At least he's too mad about it. We eventually made our way back to our rooms and got ready for the day before heading out to find the rest of the team. I used my eyes to find them, and we made our way to the restaurant they were at for breakfast.