Chapter 40

After figuring out that Sai's real objective was to kill Sasuke, we ran as fast as we could to where I could sense his chakra flowing from. I'm pissed. He played us. He made me think that he's like me. He made me think that I could help him. But no. Now he wants to kill someone I consider to be a close friend. And I'm the one who sent him to do it. I'll kill him if I have to. A huge explosion stopped us in our tracks. My eyes widened, and I searched for Sai's chakra.

"What's that?" Naruto asked.

"I've got his chakra!" I yelled and started running in the direction of the explosion. I felt my heart rate increase as I sprinted. This is it! I can sense both of them! Sasuke is there! We're finally going to save him! We finally came to a hallway with a light at the end and all of us stopped. I know we should make a plan, but all I want to do is sprint out there, kill Sai and bring Sasuke home. Sakura seemed to have the same idea. She sprinted down the hallway as fast as she could, not stopping when Yamato called after her. I heard Sakura yelling at Sai, and then the voice I'd wanted to hear for three years. That's all I needed. I wasted no more time before sprinting after Sakura into the light. I stopped when I almost ran into Sakura and Sai, and looked up to a cliff where Sakura seemed to be mesmerized. When I finally saw him, I smirked and felt my heart become lighter in my chest.

"Long time no see, pretty boy." I teased as I took in his features. He's taller. And wearing a ridiculous outfit. It looks like Orochimaru picked it out. Although, I have to say, the bare chest thing works for him. He carries a katana now. And his eyes. His eyes look colder than I've ever seen them. But overall, he looks good. He looks safe.

"Kaori, you're here too." He said emotionlessly. I rolled my eyes.

"Of course, asshole. After you knocked me out and left me on a bench, I had to even the score. Can't let you think you're better than me." I said sarcastically and shrugged. He narrowed his eyes at me. Finally, Naruto joined us. He stared up at Sasuke in awe.

"Naruto, huh? So even you were here. Then is Kakashi also with you?" He said flatly. I cocked my head to the side. He wasn't always this cold. I don't remember him that way anyways.

"Sorry, it's not Kakashi. I'm his substitute." Yamato said, finally joining the party. "We will be taking you back to the Leaf." He added. We all stared at each other for a moment before Sai pulled out his tanto and pointed it at Sasuke. I pulled out mine in an instant and pointed it at Sai. He glanced at me passively.

"Sai! I knew it!" Sakura yelled.

"Move, and I'll kill you." I said menacingly. "Don't think I won't." I added. Sai glanced at me again.

"So he's my replacement, huh?" Sasuke said. "He's soft. He said he wanted to protect the bond between Naruto and Kaori and me, but-"

"Sai! I thought your mission was to kill Sasuke." Sakura said confused.

"My classified mission was indeed the assassination of Sasuke, but I've had enough of orders. I now want to act on my own beliefs. I think Naruto can get me to remember my past emotions. I kind of get the feeling it's important to me." He said just to us. I narrowed my eyes slightly at him and kept my tanto held up to him. "I don't know you very well, but there must be a reason why your team have pursued you so desperately. They don't want to sever their bonds with you! They're giving it their all to secure those bonds! I don't understand it that well, but Sasuke, you should understand." He shouted up to Sasuke.

"Yeah, I did understand. That's why I severed the bonds!" Sasuke said forcefully. I scoffed at him.

"Bullshit, Sasuke! If you severed the bonds, why didn't you kill Naruto? Why didn't you kill me and Sakura before you left the village? You're delusional if you think the bonds are gone." I yelled at him. He narrowed his eyes in a glare at me, and I did the same with a smirk on my face. "A staring contest. Just like old times. I wonder who will give first." I said pointedly.