Chapter 29

The next two weeks were filled with intense training and studying. Every day, I met Neji at the training grounds at 8 and we either sparred against each other, or sparred as a team against whoever we could convince to fight us. I have to say, we work well together. Our general tactic is to use one of us as a decoy while the other sets up some kind of attack. Neji is mostly a close range fighter, while I am close to mid range, so often times, I'm the decoy that allows him to get close to opponents.

After we train, we go to a coffee shop and study. I asked Kakashi what kind of things we should know, and he gave me a ton of scrolls and books to read, so Neji and I have been spending hours pouring over the scrolls trying to memorize the information. We also use this time to strategize different scenarios. For instance, if they test cheating tactics again, Neji will use his byakugan to copy the answers from someone, and I'll read his mind to copy his answers. We came up with a ton of plans for different scenarios like this. I just hope it will be enough for us to pass.

After studying, sometimes we go back to the training grounds for more practice, but most of the time we just go our separate ways. I've tried to hang out with Shika a few times, but he's always with Temari, and they're always busy. I tried to deny it at first, but Sakura was right. I'm jealous. I tried not to be, and honestly have no reason to be, but I just can't help it. Thankfully, tomorrow is finally the day of the jonin exams, and my days will be less busy. Maybe then we can spend time together.

Today is a rare day where Neji and I decided to practice after our studying time. We both want to make sure we're prepared for tomorrow, so we decided on one final spar to give us some peace of mind. We probably didn't need it, but oh well. Practice is good. At least Guy isn't helping us. We'd be running until morning for sure if he was. I shuddered at the thought. I'm supposed to meet Dei tonight for one of our rare cave meet ups, so I'm hoping for an earlier night than training with Guy usually gives me.

"Okay, so anything goes, right?" Neji asked before we started. I nodded.

"Yep. Anything goes. Be ready to lose, loser." I said with a smirk. He rolled his eyes at me. I actually like Neji quite a bit. He's still cold, but after spending two straight weeks with him, I at least feel like we have some kind of friendship. Maybe.

We both lowered into a defensive stance. By now, I know that he won't try to use his byakugan too often because I can easily cancel it out. But, even in taijutsu, we're evenly matched. I need to keep him at mid range and use ninjutsu if I want to win quickly. Neji grew impatient and ran at me. I acted quickly and formed handsigns.

"Wind style: wind scythe!" I yelled and large wind blades came off of my arms as they moved. Unfortunately, Neji dodged all of them, and was in front of me in an instant. We exchanged blows, and engaged in a seemingly never ending taijutsu battle. This is what I was trying to avoid. We could do this for days. I decided to give myself the advantage, and I activated my shuhogan, so I could easily read his movements. This gave me the upper hand, and I gained dominance in the fight, although he was still blocking everything. Eventually, he flipped away and glared at me. I deactivated my shuhogan, and waited. I know he'll grow impatient again.

He ran at me, this time with a kunai. I grabbed my tanto out of its holder and readied myself. He swung and tried to fight me, but he's sloppy at best when it comes to knife fighting. I'm definitely better. I shoved him away from me, and pulled my tanto back, ready to slice it into his arm. He sidestepped quickly and kicked my feet out from under me. My eyes widened as I hit the ground, and he was immediately on top of me with a kunai at my side. I activated my eyes, ready to cast a genjutsu, but he refused to look me in the eyes .

"If I don't look at you, you can't cast the genjutsu, right?" He teased. I growled. With my shuhogan activated, I could sense Shika's chakra watching near by. I sighed. Of course, now he's free. When I'm busy trying to win a spar. Great timing.