Part 5

After the death of Pandu and Madri, Kunti brought the Pandavas back to Hastinapur. As children, the Pandavas and Kauravas often played together. However, Bhima (2nd of the Pandavas) was always at odds with the Kauravas, particularly with Duryodhana, who refused to accept the Pandavas as his kin. This usually led to much tension between the cousins. Insecure and jealous, Duryodhana harbored intense hatred for the five brothers throughout his childhood and youth and following the advice of his maternal uncle , often plotted to get rid of them to clear his path to the lordship of the .

This plotting took a grave turn when Dhritarashtra had to relent to the will of the masses and rightfully appointed his nephew Yudhishthira as crown prince. This went against the personal ambitions of both father and son (Dhritarashtra and Duryodhana) and drove Duryodhana into such a rage that he enthusiastically agreed to an evil ploy by to murder Yudhishthira. 

"The pandavas will never let their elder brother die right?" I asked Govind "I think that they will not let even a scar come on his body letting him die is a very big deal" Govind said. "So who is the rightful heir of the throne" I asked still confused, to this Govind replied "it is Yudhisthir is the rightful heir because as Dhritarashtra could not have ruled the kingdom, the kingdom passed to Pandu. As Pandu died the kingdom passed to Dhritrashtra  and otherwise Yudhisthir is the eldest among all the princes, so Duryodhan does't even stand a chance". "If a war breaks out between them the Kauravas will surely win as they are more in numbers, the pandavas would not even be able to handle them" I said, "No sakhi the Kauravas are nothing for the son's of Pandu, I know them personally and they are my cousins" he explained. "Your cousins, how?" I asked, "They are my cousins because my father and their mother are brother and sister" he said explaining the relation.

"But there is a bad news sakhi" he said. What could it be maybe they were not given their rights by Maharaj Dhritrashtra as he would have preferred his own sons over his brother's sons, after thinking for a while I asked him what was the news, he replied that " the news is that Duryodhan jealous of his cousins the , plans to kill them by building a palace made from lacquer, and invites them to stay there for a while. the architect was employed in the building of Lakshagrih in the forest of . The house was meant to be a death trap, since lacquer (wax) is highly flammable. The plot itself was such that nobody would suspect foul play.". "I was shocked to hear all this how could this ever happen, if good people died so easily what would happen to this earth, only bad people would dominate it. Govind saw the expression on my face and said "don't worry sakhi I don't think they would die so easily". I was relieved at hearing this but still I was not completely at peace after all Govind was just guessing and a guess had all probability of going wrong, I don't know why I cared about them but somehow they had started  bothering me too much.

Just then an attendant came in and said that a messenger had come from Hastinapur and we were being called inside by everybody. When we went there I saw all the family members gathered there. Govind asked what is the matter and why was everyone standing there. Then Shikhandini who started coming towards us and said we have got an invite from Hastinapur to come there for the for a wedding of princess Dushala to the King of  Sindhu Jayadrath. "So it there a problem in it, if we go there" I asked. "Of course it is sister, Hastinapur had attacked us and we lost to them, we cannot be sure if it is only a marriage invitation or a chance to humiliate us again" said Shikhandini.

 "Of course it is sister, Hastinapur had attacked us and we lost to them, we cannot be sure if it is only a marriage invitation or a chance to humiliate us again" said Shikhandini

 "I am sure they would not such a thing till Mahamahim Bhishma is with them" answered Govind without any doubt in his voice. "If you say so then my family will go but I will stay here, as I have to take care of the people" said my father. 

That was it my father's words were final and we were leaving tomorrow for Hastinapur. It would be my first trip outside Panchal and I was really excited for it, I knew I would not be able to meet the pandavas but even then I was excited.