Part 14

As we entered the hall Dhri held me by my hand and led me inside, I did not understand why did he do this, maybe because he felt that it would comfort me but he forgot that I was the bravest woman earth had ever witnessed. What so ever it was I did not have any objections to it and I felt good.

I could feel everyone's gaze on me, I had recognized many people like the people included the ones whom I had already met. Angraj Karn, Duryodhan, Dushashan, Jayadrath, Rukmi and many more. I had been told that almost the whole of Aryavarth had come to try their luck to win my hand in marriage. But my swayamvar was not an ordinary like anyone else's it had a condition which had to be fulfilled to which needed superhuman strength and skill.

​Dhri addressed the gathering and said, "Honorable princes, you can see a fish hanging from a revolving wheel fixed at the top of a pole. The reflection of the fish is seen in a wide pan full of oil, placed at the bottom of the pole. The competitor, who hits the eye of the fish while looking at the reflection, shall win the hand of my sister Draupadi." Govind was sitting next to my father and said to the latter that this task could only be completed by two people in the world. Two people was it not only Arjun who could do it? Then Govind said the two people were prince Arjun and Angraj Karn. Oh Angraj how could I forget him, what would I do if he strings the bow and hits the target. He was a man whom many women desired but not me, I have already given my heart to Arjun. As I looked all around I could not see Arjun anywhere, where was he?

Govind saw the tension on my face and then after smiling said "If sakhi does not wish to marry any person she can refuse him". Refuse? how could I refuse anyone and what would everyone say if I refuse someone and what basis I was going to do that. Then my gaze fell on the enterence and I saw the Pandavas enter I was relieved to some extent but still my heart could not find peace. When Arjun looked up at me he was smiling and I returned the smile back. He saluted the bow and took his place among the Brahmans, even Govind saw him coming and turned towards me and smiled.

 He saluted the bow and took his place among the Brahmans, even Govind saw him coming and turned towards me and smiled

A bow and a quiver full of arrows had been placed on the stage for the competitors. The event began and a number of princes came forward and tried their luck one after the other. But none of them were successful. With long faces they returned to their seats. It was Duryodhan's turn to string the bow and take the aim, he stood up and proclaimed that as he does not excel in the field of archery so, his fried Angraj would compete in place of him. "Do you think it is a competition and my sister the reward of the competition?" asked Dhri. "NO not at all............that would not be allowed, if your friend wants to try for himself then he can but not for you" he continued. "Okay so as you wish let him compete for himself if not for me" said Duryodhan. 

Angraj gave me the sweetest smile like he had done when I saw him for the first time, refusing him would be the most difficult task of my life, he was so sweet he had never done anything wrong to me but it had to be now or never

Angraj gave me the sweetest smile like he had done when I saw him for the first time, refusing him would be the most difficult task of my life, he was so sweet he had never done anything wrong to me but it had to be now or never. He slowly came saluted the bow and lifted it with ease everyone was shocked to see this. He took the arrow and aimed at the fish by looking at its reflection in the dish. He had almost pulled the string and was going to leave it, when I stood up and gathered all my courage and spoke "Stop Angraj, I would like to ask you that to which kingdom you belong, are you a prince or a king, I will not marry the son of a charioteer" to which I saw Karn look very confused and an expression of disappointment come upon his face. "He is the king of the province of Anga" said a haughty Duryodhan.