Part 6

Today we were going to Hastinapur, I would see with my eyes what Govind had told me about Hastinapur. After a very long journey we finally reached there. Maybe it was not long for the others but it had exhausted me very much, I think everyone was used to such long journeys and it was the first time for me. 

When I peeped out to look at the palace I was just spell bound by it, even Panchal had a very big palace but this was completely different

When I peeped out to look at the palace I was just spell bound by it, even Panchal had a very big palace but this was completely different. I had never seen such a beautiful place it almost looked like heaven, well I did not know how heaven looked but it would have been something like this only. When I got down I was greeted with the sight of the King and the Queen waiting for us with a plate in her hand to welcome us, I recognized Pitama Bhishma as soon as I saw him, he was recognizable only with his age and his handsome features which still did not leave him completely. Dhri, me and all my brothers went to the entrance with Govind. Queen Gandhari, I think it was her, welcomed us to the kingdom. "Welcome, dear to the mighty kingdom of Hastinapur. This is King Dhitrashtra the king of Hastinapur and I his wife Gandhari".

 This is King Dhitrashtra the king of Hastinapur and I his wife Gandhari"

 Her voice was full of sweetness. Then my gaze fell on the blind King who was standing next to her, he looked quiet strong, maybe a bit old with age but his eyes were fixed on me as if he could see me clearly. Then the Grandsire introduced himself as the son of the goddess Ganga and a servant of the throne. They took us inside, my eyes fell on a young man, was it prince Duryodhan? I was not all sure because there were ninety nine other princes with him.I could sense his lustful gaze on me, I tried ignoring him as much as I could but it was not helping his eyes were so firmly fixed on me that he was not able to hear the Grandsire calling him. "Duryodhan" this time his call was loud enough for him to hear, he quickly turned to his grandfather and listened to what he had to say. As we moved forward to our chambers I could not here what he said to him, so I continued to move forward and removed my attention from them. When we were showed our rooms we thanked the family and they left us to ourselves.

"Princess Draupadi" I heard a voice behind me, a man's voice. I turned around sharply as a warrior would do to face his opponents and saw Duryodhan standing there. He was shocked to see me turn so sharply and remarked "You have warrior instincts princess". His voice was low pitched as men normally have, he was handsome but in a muscular way and not the one which I liked men in. "Grandfather has ordered me to look after your well being" he said, at this I asked "Only mine prince". "Ah... I mean your family's" he said correcting himself. "Have you seen your chamber" he asked " Not really, I was just going inside when you came, so I did not have a chance to see it" I said. He was about to reply when we heard a voice "Mitre Duryodhan" said a man's voice. "Yes mitre Karn, I am here" he replied to the voice. The man slowly came near us and only then I could see him completely.

 The man slowly came near us and only then I could see him completely

He was very handsome. I mean, I had not seen anyone so handsome ever in my life, even though it was a short life I had met quiet a few people by now. "Are you busy friend, if you are then I will come some time later" probably he had not seen me from there, but when he came near he was suddenly aware of my presence. "I am very sorry I did not notice you princess, by the way greetings from my side and I hope you have a very happy and comfortable stay here" he completed. I could not think what I had to reply, and finally said "Thank you, ah.......prince maybe" I said not knowing him."Oh I am sorry I did not introduce myself, I am Karn, son of a charioteer, you could even call me Radhey, it is derived from my mother's name and is very dear to me" he said. "And I am a princess as you guessed, of Panchal and I have many names but mostly people call me Draupadi" I replied giving my introduction. 

I was impressed by his gentle manliness and even though he was a son of a charioteer, it did not matter to me much. "You could also call him Angraj as he rules over the province of Anga which I have gifted him or if you like you could also call him the best  archerer of the world" said Duryodhan interrupting the conversation. "You don't have to praise me every time friend" said Angraj Karn. "I don't praise you, I praise my best friend" Duryodhan said to Karn. "So princess do you not care about my being a sut" Karn asked me, to this I replied confidently "Of course not it doesn't matter whose son you are what matters is who you are"  that was what I thought and I said it. "She is a noble princess Karn, the daughter of Agni Dev has to be like him" said prince Duryodhan. "You are right friend,she is truly noble" said Angraj, After this all of us retreated to our chambers.