Part 61

I would again be staked some day without my permission and again someday dragged in another court or the same court maybe. Of what use would my protest be then? 

There I entered the court which contained only dead people no one was living anymore I was the only person who seemed alive and shouting and crying. Dushashan threw me in front of everyone there and I had wounds all around my body. My mind was in a turmoil, I wanted to shout out and tell everyone that I am here, the five of five men, the princess of Panchal, the daughter of fire god himself was staked and in the court and you all stood watching here doing nothing letting everything happen on its own but something said that even they had nothing which they could do for me, they knew that they had done adharm and they will have to bear the consequences for it too.

I got up and looked at each face around me. I straightly went to Pitama.

"Averting you gaze is not the solution Pitama!" I shouted. "Your daughted-in-law stands before you without her ritual bath to pay her respects. I want to know how are you going to bless me today? You are the bravest and the eldest Kuru and a scholar too, have you only sworn only to guard the throne? Does the Kuru honor mean nothing to you? It does not befit a brave man to hide his face like this. Look at me! I am question mark before the Kuru honor, look at your daughter in law who has been dragged into the hall. Is this the tradition of the Kuru dynasty? If you agree to this then I will keep quiet, my father's family has a different tradition. There a daughter-in-law's honor is respected and protected. But all families have the same tradition. Tell me what is the tradition of this dynasty! Look at me Pitama. When I touched your feet for the first time you blessed me with a happy married life, look at the state of that blessing. Though all this happens in your presence, but still you are quiet. Does this mean that you accept this treachery? This injustice? This sin? Are you a party to my humiliation? If not then get up and kill these evil men who seek to humiliate your daughter-in-law! You are sitting in the shade of an evil tree, get up Pitama! Get up. You are the scholar of scriptures, how can a person who has lost himself in dice stake another person's independence and honor? I want an answer to my question and your ashamed silence is not an answer. It is not Draupadi alone who asks this question it is the womankind itself! Our eternal mother earth asks this question! The nations future asks this question, the nation which emperor Bharat built. Guide me Pitama" I said tears flowing down my eyes.

"My Daughter . . . " he tried to say.

"No. I am not talking of relationships Pitama. I am talking of humiliation which is flowing down as tears from my eyes. If a wife is the part of a husbands wealth my husband lost himself. Then why did he stake me? If a wife is not a part of a husbands wealth then how could he stake me without asking me? What does this family's tradition say? Please do not call me daughter! Had I been a daughter of this family then none of you would have accepted this insult quietly! Call me daughter in law, I would like to see your tongues stumble over the words!" I said again.

"Answer Panchali's questions Pitama" said Arjun.

Bhishma prepared to speak something but could not muster the strength to do so.

"What answer will he give? He himself is a question". I said and receiving no answer from him moved to Maharaj Dhritrashtra and touched his feet.

"Your younger brother Pandu's daughter-in-law pays her respect to you. You are fortunate that you are blind. Had you not been blind you would definitely be blinded by the spectacle" I said.

"Don't tell me anything, Yudhisthir did not ask me before staking you. Nor did Duryodhan ask me before winning you. Direct your question to Yudhisthir who violated tradition by staking you" Maharaj said.

"As you wish father! But Before I ask him that question I want to my father's friend Sage Dron to whom also I address this question" I said moving to him.

"You had sent a message through Uncle Vidur that I was both a daughter and daughter-in-law. Should I pay my respect as a daughter or as a daughter-in-law?" I said, he wanted to answer the question but like Pitama he could not do so.

"You too are silent!" I said.

"You Sage Kripacharya?" I asked.

He faced the other side and I knew that there was no use for talking to him, he would do the same it would just be me speaking.

"Uncle Vidur! What does your ethics say about this? You are noted for speaking bitter truth, please don't be tongue tied. Can a husband stake his wife at dice? Can a slave stake someone else's freedom?" I asked.

He stayed silent. 

"She is right!" shouted Vikarn.

"Vikarn!" Duryodhan said. 

"Let him speak dear Duryodhan. Let him speak." said Shakuni controlling Duryodhan. "Whatever was to happen has happened, Yudhisthir has lost Draupadi".

"Who is he to loose me?" I demanded."Even if he has the right to loose his wife, I am not his wife alone. I am married to the five brothers, not to him alone!".

"Did he ask you before loosing me?" I asked my question to Sahadev. "As to if he could stake your wife or not?". Sahadev lowered his head.

"Did you give him permission?" This time the question was directed to Nakul. He too lowered his head.

"O great archer! O brave warrior, who pierced the eye of the fish. Did you win my hand so that your brother could stake me?".

"There were other gamblers before you but they never staked their wives" I said to Yudhisthir. "And You watched your wedded wife being staked? Shame on you and your bravery.

"Why don't you answer Draupadi's questions, Jesht?" said Bheem. "You are the essence of truth. If it had not been you who staked Draupadi then I would have killed the gambler".

"At last my ambition is realised. The brothers have quarreled" Shakuni whispered to Duryodhan.