Part 18

Arjun asked me if I wanted to enter the hut now or afterwards as their mother Kunti was performing a small pooja and it was about to get over. "Right now" I replied. Had I known what would happen I would have never said it. We entered the hut and saw Mother Kunti doing a small prayer. "See mother what I have brought as bhiksha today" said Arjun very cheerfully referring to me. And what happened after that I would regret all my life.

"I have always taught you children, what ever you have got just share it with your brothers" she said without looking. "But mother......" Arjun tried to say. "No if's and buts just do what I say and its my order now" she said sternly. 

Everyone was shocked including me, no one could even think of moving. She slowly finished her prayer and got up, brought the plate to put everyone tilak.  She noticed that something was wrong from her children's expression. "What is it dear, is everything okay, why are you all so sad? she asked quiet not understanding. Everyone turned towards me and even she saw in my direction. From her expression it looked like she was shocked beyond words. "Don't tell me Arjun that you have won her and she is your wife" she said as she did not wanted to hear that. "She is mother, she is the princess of Panchal, Draupadi, the daughter of king Drupad" replied Arjun. 

Kunti just could not just speak anything, she could not express anything, she had ordered her sons to divide me between themselves

Kunti just could not just speak anything, she could not express anything, she had ordered her sons to divide me between themselves. I could not comprehend what had just happened. I went out of the hut to a river which I had seen while coming. That was the best place I could think of going right now. I did not know what was happening there inside, but surely no one was happy of the events that had taken place.

 I did not know what was happening there inside, but surely no one was happy of the events that had taken place

I cried for the first time in my small life. I cried because I did not know what else to do. I could not understand what had to be done in a situation like this. I had so many questions in my mind. What would happen now? What decision were they going to take? Would Arjun abandon me? Would I return to the palace of Panchal? Would I marry again? What if no one married me? What would the world think about me? And what about my love for Arjun?

I saw Arjun coming towards me and wiped the tears from my eyes. I thought that he would answer all my questions. "I am sorry Panchali, it was all my fault, I should have not won you in your swayamvar" he said softly. "Don't say that and you winning me in my swayamvar was destined we could do nothing about it even if we wanted to" I replied going towards him.  We have decided Panchali about the problem. You..........You can marry...my eldest brother Yudhisthir" he said. I was completely shocked at this statement. "What?How could you thing about doing this?"I asked really angry at him. "When Angraj was not allowed to do it for prince Duryodhan than how can you be given that right?" I continued. "It was what we had decided, we could not think anything else for this problem" he said. "But would this not be injustice to me? I had loved you and wanted you to be my husband, and why should the fruit of your hard work go to someone else?" I questioned. "You are right Draupadi, then maybe............

                                                          *******************************

What would Arjun suggest to Draupadi now? 

How was the story did you like it? I had taken some ideas from the star plus serial of Mahabharat. Hope you liked it. Please comment and vote.