Chapter I- Sitrep

To the Director of Project: Freelancer from the Oversight Subcommittee Chairman:

Dear Director, I want to thank you in advance for your openness in response to our subcommittee's request for more information. We were disappointed that your Recovery Force reported a total loss at Outpost 17-B. We had hoped that there would be at least one soldier left that could shed some light on the situation. I know that your Agency has enjoyed a high degree of freedom with every little scrutiny in the past few years. It is not our intention to disrupt such a "progressive military program", but instead to find a way that we can work together in a manner that benefits ALL of our responsibilities. I am certain that you will agree. And we look forward to making this review process as painless as we possibly can.
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Two soldiers in white ODST Armor were escorting a Simulation Trooper in Red ODST armor. They stopped in a room with a large screen. On the screen was a man, awaiting the troopers and a man in Black Mark VI armor with Yellow accents standing in the corner.

"Thank you, gentlemen." The man said. His voice was resonate and soft spoken at the same time. He was the Counselor of Project: Freelancer. "Would you please excuse us?"

With a nod, the two soldiers left, leaving the Red ODST and The Counselor alone.

"You are Private Walter Henderson, correct?" The Counselor asked.

"Yes, sir!" Walter replied.

"You can dispense with the formalities, Walter." The Counselor said. "Please feel comfortable to speak as candidly as you wish. Can you tell us what happened at your outpost, Walter?"

"Yes sir... uh, yes." Walter said, correcting himself. "Uh, I had been there about six months, everything was pretty much like normal... and one day this... ship... crashed."

A holographic image of a Pelican ship came into view.

"Is this the ship to which you are referring to?" The Counselor asked.

"Yeah." Walter said, shivering slightly. "Yeah, that's it."

"Please," The Counselor requested, "tell me what was on the ship, Walter."

"I don't know." Walter said. "The Blues got there first. They fought us off while they cleared it out. Took the stuff back to base. By the time we got a hold of it, it seemed like a regular old transport. Our engineer said that some of the wiring had been messed with, but he didn't seem, y'know, worried about it or nothin' like that."

"I see." The Counselor said, taking notes somewhere offscreen. "Thank you for that."

"But," Walter continued, "whatever was on the ship... must have been what started the whole thing."

"Please, Walter," The Counselor asked, "define 'thing'."

"The infection." Walter clarified. "The Blues just stopped fighting us. Some of them set up camp outside their base and trapped the rest of their team inside... they blew up their Comm Tower for some reason. Their own Comm Tower! Then they blew up ours. That why we couldn't radio for help; we couldn't figure out why they would do that! After that... nothing. No word from them at all. The C.O. sent a squad over... all the Blues were dead. They'd killed each other."

"Why do you think they did that?" The Counselor asked.

"I don't know." Walter answered. "They'd torn their radios out of their helmets and dismantled their computers. The C.O. said they were trying to build something... but I saw the stuff. No way! They were trying to break it. And there was another body in there too... not a Blue. Somebody else. Actually, she looked a lot like him."