Chapter II- Reassembled

A response from the Director of Project: Freelancer

Dear Chairman, While I am obligated to assist your investigation, I ask that you not waste my time with irrelevant questions. My Agency is normally unconcerned with such minute directives such as troop reassignment, except of course, in the most critical of matters.
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Del had woken up from a short nap and found Sister came over and gave him a can of beer.

"So, are you bored?" Sister asked.

"Don't get any funny ideas, Kaikaina." Del said with a laugh.

"No, not like that." Sister laughed. "I'm just saying, we should throw a party like we did when everyone left. You know, get the Base some revenue."

Del chuckled softly, but before he could answer, a voice interrupted him.

"Hello?" The voice called. "Anybody here?"

The voice sounded vaguely familiar to Del. He armored up and saw that Sister had done the same.

"Who do you think it is?" Del asked.

"Only one way to find out." Sister said, walking to the open doorway of Blue Base.

Del hid behind the wall off to the side of the doorway as Sister stood in the space, coming face to face with the source of the voice, a soldier in Black armor with Yellow highlights.

"Hey!" Sister called out. "A-Hole! What's with all the noise?! People are trying to sleep here! Aw, man."

Sister walked down so she wouldn't have to shout to be heard by the mysterious soldier.

"Uhm, Hi." The soldier greeted. "I'm Agent Washington. This is Blue Base, correct?"

As Sister and Washington continued their conversation, Del's eyes went wide with shock, trying to wrap his head around what he had just heard. Agent Washington, one of Del's closest friends, who Del thought was dead, was standing dead center in front of his base.

"You use the base for raves?" Wash asked. "That doesn't seem like the proper use for official resources."

"What are you, like a cop or something?" Sister asked.

"No." Wash answered.

"Because," Sister went on, "if you are, and I ask you, then you have to tell me! That's totally a law or something."

"I'm not police." Wash said. "And that's not a real law."

"Well, if you're not a cop, then how do you know it's not a real law? BUSTED!"

It took every fiber of Del's being not to burst out laughing. This was exactly how Del's first meeting with Sister went.

"My scanner says there's someone in your base." Wash said. "You can come out. I'm not here to fight."

Del took a deep breath. There was no getting out of this. Del walked outside with his hands up.

Wash lowered his Battle Rifle in shock. "Del? Is that you?"

"Hey, Wash." Del said with a smile.

"You know this guy, Cayde?" Sister asked.

"Yeah." Del answered. "Wash and I were friends. You can head back inside, K."

Sister nodded and went back into Blue Base.

"What are you doing here?" Wash asked. "I thought you were dead."

"Yeah." Del sighed. "Tex told me that The Director told everyone I was dead after he tried to kill me."

"The Director tried to kill you?" Wash breathed.