Chapter III- Together Again

Dear Director, Due to your busy schedule, we have begun interviewing members of your staff. I am certain you will let us know if this bothers you. Our debriefings keep coming back to a single subject at Outpost 17-B. Can you explain to us what this "Meta" is, and what your plans are to deal with it?
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Wash and Del had gone to Caboose's new base, a place called Outpost 28, or Rat's Nest. There, they saw a man in Blue ODST Armor with grey highlights come storming down a ramp in front of them.

"Oh, no." The ODST said. "Hell no! Excuse me, sirs, but no goddamn way!"

"You must be Lieutenant Miller." Wash said.

"I've got Reds coming out of my ass here, boss, and you two show up and take away one of my men for a... what did you say this was for?"

"A secret mission, sir!" One blue soldier responded.

"Aw, you gotta be..." Miller whined, "a what?!"

"I think you have bigger issues than troop assignments, soldier." Wash replied. "How about getting some of these vehicles in working order?"

Wash gestured to the scrapyard of dismantled Mongoose Quads, mangled Warthog Jeeps and flaming Scorpion Tanks behind them.

"What the hell do you think I'm talking about?" Miller cried out. "This is your fault! You sent us the new guy, he said he was good with vehicles! All he does is talk to 'em. TALK to 'em! What the hell is that all about?! And now look at the damn things!

"That's our boy, all right." Del said with a laugh.

"I don't have time to discuss your problems." Wash said. "I have orders, and those orders say I need Private Caboose, and I need him now. He has information that is vital to the security of..."

"Wait a second... Caboose?" Miller interjected. "You're taking Caboose? And I don't have to pay you or anything like that?"

"That a problem?" Del asked.

"Problem?" Miller exclaimed with a loud laugh. "Hell no! It must be Christmas Morning and no one told me. You boys stay right there and I'll get him for you. Private Johannas! Johannas! Johannas, where the hell are you?"

"Sir," a Blue ODST sighed, "for the millionth time, my name is pronounced Jones. Jones."

"Shut up, Johannes!" Another soldier said.

"Seriously," Jones said, "lots of people have the name. It's very common! How am I the first guy you've met called Jones?"

"Johannes," Miller ordered, "I need you to go down to the brig, untie Caboose and get him up here."

"Me?" Jones stammered. "Alone?!"

"Double time, Johannes!" Miller exclaimed.

"It's pronounced... never mind." Jones said with a defeated sigh. "Christ."

Jones went inside the base, and Del looked at Miller with a lock of shock and confusion.

"You keep him in the brig?" Del asked.

"We keep him tied up in the brig." Miller clarified. "I'm not taking any more chances."

Then, they hear a gunshot, followed by Jones wailing in pain and Caboose walks out.

"Be careful." Caboose stated looking back inside the base.

"You'll understand soon enough." Miller whispered as Caboose came to meet the three soldiers.