Chapter XXVI- Against The Wall

Dear Chairman, I don't give a damn about your committee and it's opinions of my work. Have you forgotten, sir, we were at war? A fight with an alien race for the very survival of our species? I feel I must remind you that it is an undeniable and, may I say, a fundamental quality of man that when faced with extinction, every alternative is preferable.
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

Del, Wash and Church had made their way back to the Server Room when the door behind them sealed with a thud, assuring that no Recovery Soldiers would get in.

The Reds, South and The Omegas had already readied themselves for a fight.

"What's the status up here?" Del asked, loading his DMR.

"Fucked up." Grif answered. "'Bout to die. Simmons is a nerd. The usual."

"Ever the optimist." William grumbled.

"Looks like we've got at least half a dozen squads out there." Sarge said. "They know our position and we're outgunned."

Del sighed heavily at the situation before him.

"So, what's the plan?" Wash asked.

"Well," Sarge said, "we were gonna retreat down the hall until you just brought more guards up that way."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Del scoffed. "We couldn't exactly consult the manual while we were trying to dodge VOLLEYS OF GUNFIRE!!"

"Hey, Simmons," Grif said, "can you get back on that computer and change my affiliation from Red to Freelancer?"

In response, South smacked Grif over the back of the head.

"Uhm," Caboose chimed, "can you change my job title to something more important like astronaut... oh! I know; Space Marine!"

"What are you guys on about?" Del asked.

"This computer has all of Command's records!" Simmons answered.

"Really?" Echo said, appearing before the group. "Excellent. Then we can put this argument to rest.

The group cried out in surprise at the Orange glowing construct.

"Woah!" Cale cried out. "What is that?"

"Crap." Del whispered. "Uh, guys, this is Echo."

"Salutations." Echo said with a slight bow.

"Echo?" South breathed.

"The AI you told us about?" Simmons asked. "I thought you said he was dead."

"Well," Sarge said, "were standing in front of Church, who is a literal ghost, so, an AI coming back from the dead doesn't sound all that out there."

"Oh, god." Wash sighed.

"What?" South questioned.

"Wash and Del have been trying to convince me that I'm and AI." Church scoffed.

"Really?" William breathed.

"Why would he do that?" Grif asked.

"Because he's transparent!" Wash said.

"Because he can take over other people." Del added.

"Because he manages to put up with you guys." Echo muttered.

Grif and Simmons exchanged a look of confusion before turning back to Wash.

"That's because he's a ghost." Grif said.

"Thank you." Church replied. "That's what I said."

"If Private Church here is a ghost," Echo said, "then why aren't any other soldiers turning into ghosts?"