Chapter XIII- Mission: Failed

South and Wash had concluded that they would have to reason with the Reds if they wanted to get to Del.

"Red Team," Wash called, activating the megaphone in her helmet, "attention, Red Team, cease fire, cease fire."

"Hey," Church said, suddenly interested, "how did you do that megaphone throng with your voice?"

"It's a voice amplifier." Wash said. "It's standard issue, all our suits have one."

"They do?" Church breathed.

Before Church could ponder that fact any further, Sarge interrupted.

"What do you want?" Sarge asked.

"Yeah, what do you want?" Grif echoed.

"Shut up, Grif!" Sarge said.

"That's 'shut up Grif, sir." Grif corrected.

South visor palmed and turned off her megaphone.

"I'm not dealing with this. Your turn, Wash." South said.

"Gee, thanks." Wash said sarcastically.

Wash took a deep breath and activated his megaphone.

"We are not your enemy!" Wash said. "My name is Agent Washington. I am part of a special task force..."

"Testing, testing." Church said activating his own megaphone. "Holy shit! It does work! This is badass!"

"And I am Caboose!" Caboose chimed in, using his megaphone. "I like the color blue!"

"Stop that!" Wash said.

"Ow!" Church cried. "Don't use that Th ing right next to me! You're killing my ears, you douche!"

"Oh, no!" Sarge said with an incredulous laugh. "We're not fallin' for that again."

"I am a special agent. From Command!" Wash insisted.

"And this is the voice of God." Church stated. "Give up your evil ways. Join the Blue Team."

South punched Church in the face, knocking him to the ground.

"Ow!" Church's cried. "Hey, come on, seriously. You're gonna break this thing!"

"Oh, yeah?" Sarge laughed. "Well, if you're Command, then you'd know our secret code word, wouldn't ya?"

"What? Oh, right." Wash responded. "Hold on one sec."

Wash accessed Command's database to prove his legitimacy. South had done the same.

"The code word is..." Wash started.

"Code word?" The two freelancer said in unison.

"Doh, dang it." Sarge said under his breathe.

"Sir," Simmons said, visor palming, "what did I tell you about that?"

"Alright men, stand down." Sarge ordered.

"Stand down?" Grif questioned. "We both have three people on each team. So, if we kill one of them, we would outnumber them three to two. That's like a three with a two, that's 32% advantage. If you carry the one."

The Reds looked to their orange clad companion in shock.

"I don't wanna know how you came up with that," Simmons said, "but you're actually right. What do you care though? I thought you loved giving up in the middle of a fight."

"Doesn't mean I wanna die." Grif answered.

"Gentlemen, they know the code word." Sarge said. "There's nothing we can do."

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone knows you're code's safe word thing, so..." Caboose called out.

"Quiet, Bluetard!" Sarge called back. "Alright. Let's try negotiating. See what they want. But first, leave your weapons and armor here so they don't feel threatened. Check that; take your weapons and give it to them."

"No." Grif states. "Sarge, you may not think that I'm a good leader, but something about those Blues just doesn't feel right. And I have an uncanny sixth sense. So if you won't help me, I'll just have to get the local Reds to. This guy looks legit. Maybe he can help."

Grif exited cover and began to approach The Meta, who had changed the color of his EVA Armor from white and brown to red.

"Grif," Sarge ordered, "get back here! You don't know anything about those soldiers. To them, Blue could be Red or Red could be Blue or they could be on an opposite map."

Grif stopped and looked back to Sarge.

"Shut up, old man." Grif scoffed. "And watch how a real leader works. Hey there, soldier! What's your name?"

The Meta only responded by giving a sinister growl.

"Huh." Grif muttered. "Sound like someone has a cold.

With another growl, The Meta lifted a nearby warthog over his head and stared at Grif.

This was not going to end well.
_______________________________
A/N: Well, I'm spent. I have to apologize for not publishing this chapter sooner. Til the next one, everybody!