Chapter XV- Saving Agent Delaware

Wash, South and the Reds and Blues stood around Del, who was laying unconscious muttering something incomprehensible. Church, Wash and South were kneeling beside him.

"What's the verdict?" Church asked worriedly.

"I don't know." Wash answered bluntly. "He seems okay."

"It looks like he was knocked out." South said. "We just can't get him to wake up."

"I... memory... key... memory is..." Del mumbled.

"What's he mumbling?" Grif asked.

"I can't make it out." Church said, standing up.

"This makes no sense." South said, also standing. "All his vitals are normal. Why can't we revive him?"

"Hey," Wash said, "do you guys know a medic around here by any chance?"

"NO!!!" The Reds and Blues said in unison.

They were lying, however. They did know a semi-decent medic, a Medical Officer named Frank DuFresne, aka Doc. Doc was a medical officer that was exposed to Omega, which left behind his alter ego, a temperamental megalomaniac named O'Malley.

"Maybe The Meta removing Delta did something to him." Church suggested. "Like a sort of coma."

"Yeah," Wash sighed, "but there's no way to know for sure, unless you have a way to see inside his head."

At that moment, an idea came over Church. South and Wash walked away to discuss a plan of helping Del out of his comatose state.

"Hey, Blue," Simmons whispered, "why don't you do that thing? You know, that thing you do? The ghost thing."

Simmons was referring to the fact that Church could somehow leave his own body and inhabit the bodies of others and look into their minds.

"Yeah," Church said, inhaling through his teeth, "those guys don't know about that so... I don't really wanna let them know and freak them out... why don't you keep 'em occupied and I'll see what I can do."

Simmons nodded and walked toward South and Wash.

"Hey, you two!" Simmons said. "I think it turns out we DO know a medic after all. But he's really far away. Maybe if we run around this corner right here, we'll get better reception."

During this, a transparent Church stepped out of his body and vanished above Del.

Church awoke in Del's mind to see a burned town of some sort.

"What the hell?" Church muttered

"Hello, Church." A voice said from behind the cobalt soldier.

Church turned around to see a solid figure in green Mark VI armor.

"Delta?" Church breathed.

"Not exactly." Delta answered. "Unfortunately, I have been taken by The Meta. I am merely a memory of Delta that was left in Agent Delaware's mind."

"Well, then how are you talking to me?" Church asked.

"I am not." Delta answered. "I merely used logic to determine what questions you would ask and what order, then I left the appropriate responses."

"Well, where the hell are we?" Church wondered, looking around. "This looks like something out of Doom: Eternal."

"This is one of of Agent Delaware's core memories." Delta explained. "It is Delaware's memory of what remained of the Reach Survivor Settlement that he and his parents, as well as several other refugees lived."

"Fuck..." Church breathed. "I mean, I knew Del went through some shit when he was young, but to see it myself... Jesus."

"We must get back on topic." Delta said. "My time is brief. Please tell Agents Washington and South memory is the key."

"Memory is the key?" Church echoed. "What does that mean?"

"Wash and South will know." Delta assured.

"Okay, seriously," Church sighed, visor palming, "does it have to be a riddle? Can't you just tell me what you want me to do? How hard would that be?! And, if you're in The Meta, then why don't you just help us from the inside?"

"Church," Delta stated as he started to vanish, "I have to be objective; The next time you see me, I may not want you to help me."

Church left Del's mind and looked to the sky.

"Delta! Delta, wait!!" Church called out. "What about The Meta? What about...?"

"Uhhh... dude?" Grif drew out.

Church looked in front of his to see South and Wash looking at his spectral form and Simmons in the middle of the Freelancers, running the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Yeah," Simmons said, "turns out I'm not so good at distracting."

"Wash, South, don't panic." Church said. "I can explain."

"Yeah," Grif said, "see, when Simmons was boring you with random conversation about nerd stuff, he was really just trying to distract you from what the Blue guy here was doing."

"He means," Sarge specified, "explain the fact that he's a ghost!"

"Oh, right." Grif said. "Yeah, he can explain that part too."

The Reds and Blues simply stood there, knowing that this would be a tough one to explain.
________________________________
A/N: Hey, guys. I have to apologize for taking two day breaks before chapters for the past two installments of the book. I don't know what happened. Won't happen again. Also, I do have a new character in mind for Season 18, which I am extremely hyped for. Til the next one, everybody!