》 ¤ Prologue ¤ 《

》 ¤ Prologue ¤ 《

~Separated Pasts~

♧♧♧

Hye-Rin's POV

15th September 1997

This was the happiest time of my life. I gave birth to two lovely daughters. They are twins, fraternal twins...

"Those two don't resemble each other!" My mother-in-law muttered, believing that twins do look alike.

"They're fraternal twins, Mom! They obviously differ in appearance!" My husband responded, his brow furrowed.

"Well, this one resembles you, while the other resembles your husband!" She squeaked, and I'm sure she was overjoyed to see her granddaughters.

When she said that, I smiled...

"So, what will you name them?" She inquired, intrigued.

"Soo-Ah and Soo-Young!" We both exclaimed, as we had planned to name our children before.

That was my favourite moment. My husband works as a cop. He is a good officer who assists many people. I can say that he did his job well. He doesn't mind if he doesn't get promoted. I couldn't say anything because it wasn't my life, but his...

Everything was fine until one day when he became extremely busy. He didn't spend any time with either me or the twins. We frequently argue because he believes I am selfish and do not consider others...

He usually returns home early, but not this time. He didn't return home for the entire night. There was a knock on the door the next morning while I was feeding the twins. I assumed it was my husband, but I was mistaken. It was another cop...

"Do you happen to be Mr. Choi's wife?" The officer asked me, and he was covered in bruises on his face.

"Yes." I said, nodding.

He had a guilty, sad expression on his face and hung his head low. He took a deep breath and spill it all out...

"Miss, your husband was murdered, and we came to inform you of this. He died last night, and I'm deeply sorry for your loss." He said this while fighting back tears.

After he said that, I collapsed to the ground. Everything around me seemed to have been crushed. I burst into tears because I couldn't take it anymore. The officer then informed my mother-in-law of the situation. She sobbed alongside me...

The funeral was the following day. Many people came to see us. They attempted to pacify me. I burst out from nowhere...

"Calm  down! How can you assure me to take it easy? My husband left me because he was too helpful!" I yelled at them and sobbed uncontrollably.

"Don't say that, Hye-Rin ah." My mother-in-law attempted to soothe me by saying it softly.

"No way, I'll say! He has helped so many people, and they are happy now. But I lost my husband and am now in pain. I told him numerous times to think about us, but he never did. Your son is a moron, and I regret marrying him!" I yelled at her, frustrated by the loss of my husband and also I was angry 

She remained silent and said nothing. The funeral continued. Miraculously, it was completely dark, and we returned home. I apologised to my mother-in-law and stated that those were not my intentions. She had forgiven me...

The lights went out just as I was about to go to bed. I was terrified. I became aware of shadows moving behind me. I jolted my mother-in-law awake. She instructed me to carry Soo-Ah while she carried Soo-Young. We saw men with knives, which alarmed both of us, so we fled through the back door...