4.✓

Kwet hadn't stopped thinking of why she wanted to join the Dregs since she entered the stinking and polluted city.

"The family that enslaved me had... relations with the Blacktips and Dime Lions. Gave some of their members money to protect their precious land and lumber. Gave them the command to rape me and burn my hands, sliced my face open," she said the words calmly, blankly even.

She had been numb for years. Ever since those damn bastards took her from her clan.

"It was either you or the Razor Gulls, this territory smells better than theirs does, plus my falcon doesn't care for murky skies." She shifted carefully on her feet.

She always seemed ready for a fight, not with Kaz, but with any mugger who decided to try and steal her deer skin coat.

"I'm here for survival," she stated confidently. "I'm sure you know that there are plenty of killers who wouldn't hesitate to skin me alive. Here, I can have some form of protection, enough money for warm meals, and I can feel I've earned it by working for you as a spider. And who would pass up a chance to work for Kaz Brekker?"

She smiled like a cat, white grin in the shadows.

"Hmmm... very well." Kaz gathered her application into a neat pile at the corner of his desk.

He pulled open a desk drawer and took a paper from it, sliding the form over the desk to Kwet.

"This is your contract. Sign it, and we'll pick a day for you to go get the tattoo." Kaz leaned back in his chair. "We'll need to assess some of your other skills and find you a room in the Slat. You have two weeks to gather your things and leave your current residence. Any questions?"

Kwet shook her head slowly. She quickly scribbled somewhat of a signature, she didn't know how to read nor write but at least she managed to write a 'K' with a few scribbles next to it.

"Two weeks," she echoed back.

It was more than enough time. Kwet didn't have many belongings. Mostly just her bird and a few small items.
Maybe she could have a few more books and things, now that she had a real job.

"No, no questions sir," she said softly.

Then, she was sneaking back out the window. She leapt from the sill, landing in a crouch with the barest of noises. She disappeared into the shadows, falcon calling softly from above, following her as she went.
She held her coat close to, wondering why none of these damned tailors knew how warm a deer skin hide could be. At least her hood kept her head warm.

Kaz huffed, setting the new contract to the form and placing it into a file with the other contracts. He stood and locked the window behind her. Kaz sighed, rubbing at his tired eyes. That was one problem dealt with and a few more added on. He'd check with Anika in the morning about open rooms, something higher up.

Kaz looked over his paperwork, then shut off his lamp, grabbing his cane and locking his office. He limped up the stairs and into his room, locking that door. Checking the window was still locked, he limped into his own bedroom and closed the door. He pulled at his tie, loosening it and quickly got ready for bed

Changing into more comfortable sleeping clothes, he lay down on the rickety bed, stretching out his bad leg. It was early morning, the very first streaks of light hinting on the horizon. Kaz shut his eyes and fell into a very light, restless sleep.

Kwet purchased a small baked good from an ancient looking bakery and carefully climbed onto the top of a building. She pulled the surprisingly flakey pastry apart and threw a piece in the air. Idgeka snapped it out of the air as she ate her own.