55.✓

Vlam took their dagger and set the lantern on the ground, opening it and turning up the flames. He then laid the dagger across the fire. The farmboy called Oiche to his side, she laid down next to her master watching the boy carefully. 

"Do ya have a name kid? You can call me Vlam. The dog is Oiche."

***

"I'd rather be troubled than find out you bled out in the streets. We'll see about a healer, for now, just rest." Kaz said, a clear dismissal. "Your old room should be clean now." He closed the door behind Kwet, limping back to his desk and sitting down. 

Kwet nodded and made it back to be room.

She immediately went to bed, curling up close to her falcon who watched over her carefully, knowing his owner was vulnerable.

She slept well for the first time in a long time.

"Sybia. I didn't think she'd be so quick a threat so soon." Kaz muttered.

"Revenge is a very strong force, Kaz. We need to look closely at her background, also. Other people shouldn't pay the price of our actions." Inej said as she went back on the window seat. 

Whatever happened with Kwet had shaken her deeply. Sybia wanted revenge from her, wanted to harm her and in the course, she would hurt the people around her. 

She needed to go and look at Sybia's case as soon as possible.

"Inej," Kaz warned, narrowing his eyes. "I know what you are thinking. But Sybia isn't the real threat here. We can deal with her after Jason."

"Mhm," Inej just nodded without looking up. 

She heard him, agreed with what he said but there was this feeling... she shook her head brushing the thought away but stayed in that position. 

It'd been a while since she just sat there, and admired the sky outside

Kaz started to say something. A sarcastic comment, a plea, a further warning... Whatever it was completely slipped his mind. His eyes softened and his guard fell as he watched Inej. 

This scene, it was like he hadn't known he missed it until he saw her sitting on the sill again. The light, murky as it was seemed brighter, illuminating Inej like it was. The colors touching her skin, caressing her dark hair, warming her eyes. He felt a deep ache fade and watched her for a few minutes longer before he could pull himself out of his reverie. 

He quickly turned away from Inej, picking up his quill and sorting his paperwork back out on his desk. He refused to acknowledge that his face was warmer and probably pinker. That his hands shook in his gloves. 

He forced his mind into paperwork, rather than lingering on Inej. He needed to stop doing that, especially now.

Kwet stirred after a few hours of sleep and sat up. She hissed as her wound ached and the room spun for a moment. Idgeka was still curled up in her laugh and she gently stroked his feathers.
She looked around the room, it was strange seeing the world in such a different way. She would have to get used to this with how slim of a chance she had to regain sight and the high risk of infection. The Slate nor the entire city was the cleanest of places. 

She sighed as she leaned against her old pillows. Idgeka nudged her hand gently.

***

Zhulik nodded. "You can call me Zhulik. I'm pretty sure that there are two bosses as of right now hunting my head. I should really just stick to thievery, but it's fun to say no." They winced when they move their leg. "Except when this happens."