40.✓

"You think you can beat him?" Jan laughed. "All you are is a pleasure worker and all Brekker is a broken, weak boy. You cannot best us Miss Ghafa, and you will fall along with your lame excuse for a crew."

Inej just smiled at his arrogance, "Best him? Last time I saw he was bleeding to death. Brekker maybe is broken but Dirtyhands won't think twice before breaking every bone in your pawn's body."

Vlam arrived at the mansion and basically ran into the room where Van Eck was. Sure, he was tied up, but that didn't mean anybody else couldn't have come into the room. The Grisha boy basically slammed open the door, daggers in hand and out for blood. Seeing everything in order, he relaxed and leaned down to greet Oiche.

Oiche saw Vlam bust in and happily ran to him, tail wagging viciously. Yapping happily, she nearly tackled him to the ground.

Jan Van Eck cursed loudly. He watched as the boy he'd seen before ran into the room. 

"Where is Brekker, where is Wylan, and where is Donahue?" his voice was angry and loud.

Vlam blinked at Van Eck, tilting his head before smiling, basically beaming at the merch. He stood up, muttering something to Oiche as he did. The wolfdog returned to her post, glaring at Van Eck.

"Ya know, I expected you to be I don't know less bald?" Vlam said with a wheeze, pointing at his receding ginger hair.

Kaz stepped out of the room and turned to Wylan. 

"I'm going to the mansion, Jason should be out for a good long while, the healer will make sure of it. In the meantime, I'd like to check on your father." 

While Jan Van Eck didn't have the influence he used to, Jason still had some standing. His gang was meager, new, but it only takes a couple of idiots to create a problem.

Wylan stood up, "I'll come with you," was all he said.

Inej took out her dagger as she traced that along Van Eck's jawline. 

"For all, you know Donahue might be dead by now. There isn't anything  you could do about it either so why not tell what you two planned out, your death won't be that painful then."

Kaz nodded and led them into the dark streets of Ketterdam, allowing the silence to sink into him, disrupted by the tapping of his cane. His gloves were still slick with Jason's blood. 

When they were halfway to the mansion, and Kaz was sure no one was eavesdropping, in a quiet, sincere rasp, he spoke. "Jesper will come back." He said it as sure as fact. 

"Don't let the spouting's of dead men get under your skin. Their words are without currency." He glanced at Wylan, checking on the younger teen's state, before keeping his stride.

Vlam just watched, his temper had been frayed a lot today, and in all reality, he just wanted to set something on fire. That or stab something. An idea itched in the back of his head, but he shook it away with a shake of his head.

The disgraced Merch glared at the boy and his dog, then he grinned. An insane and unstable grin. 

"You may think you scare me, best me, and come out of this on the other side. But I know you, I know what you will do and I will best you, my time has come."

Vlam rose his brows, the promise of rage sparking in his eyes. 

"You talk a lot of shit for someone tied to a chair, a wolfdog in your face, and two armed people who would both love to paint the streets with your blood in the same room with ya. So, please, before you say something that pisses me off, and I have Oiche here, sink her teeth into your other leg. Shut your damn trap." Vlam snapped out.