19.✓

When Inej reached in front of Kaz's window she found Kaz sitting alone, his eyes glued on the table. He looked like he was waiting, waiting for her? She asked herself as the thought crossed her mind. 

Shaking her head and pushing away those thoughts, she jumped inside and said, "Hello, Mr.Brekker." In a stern, confident voice. It's Captain Ghafa that came today, not his wraith.

Kaz stiffened, and he turned to Inej, his expression blank. "What business?" He rasped, giving nothing away. Two could play at that game, and it was for the best. He had to be leaving soon, his dark eyes remained trained on her own, awaiting her response.

She gulped down her discomfort, if he wants to play then she won't back out. With shoulder straight and chin high she took another step towards him. "My second is here to meet you. We are going to leave tomorrow and before it, we have some matters to discuss. He is waiting at the entrance, please order someone to take him up."

Kaz's eyes narrowed to slits, but he rose wordlessly, and walked to his door, calling down for Pim to bring up whoever was waiting. When it seemed that his order was being obeyed, he turned around, and walked back to his desk, sitting down in his chair. 

His jaw clenched, but it was the only sign that he was in any way bothered by all this, the mask of Dirtyhands was put well in place. He didn't really look at Inej, nor avoid her, he stared ahead at the room blankly, face shadowed by the dim light of the lantern on his desk. He had his cane in one hand but wasn't leaning any weight on it, his gloved fingers curling into its eye sockets.

As Kaz went to order Pim Inej just stayed there, waiting. She didn't know whether she'll be able to wear the mask for long as she could see Kaz tensing behind his. He may be Dirtyhands for the world and she may be the Wraith but when they were together they are nothing but two teenagers struggling with the ghosts of their past. 

She looked at him and then at the door. She was waiting for Caden to appear soon. Then as if the saints had heard her prayer a knock came, she rushed towards the door and opened it for Caden. 

"Captain." Caden said as she opened the door. "Come inside." She said taking the list of people from his hand.

Kaz's eyes flashed in the dark, his hand tightening on his cane before he quickly loosened his shoulders and forced himself to relax. Whatever emotion had lit up his eyes now slunk back, a feral creature hiding in the dark of its hole. 

"Now that we're all here," Kaz drawled, a second's glare shot at Caden, "What do you want?" He turned his eyes to Inej, waiting for some explanation as he did his best to avoid her guest. He didn't see why he had to be here, and somehow, the mask became easier to wear, closer to his true emotions with Inej's second in the room.

"We.." Inej moves her hand between herself and Caden, "... are going to leave the day after tomorrow. We came here with 40 slaves, men and women both who are going back to Ravka again." 

She looked down at the paper in her hand the list was of 15 people, Inej's eyes went wide for a second but she perfectly hid her surprise. "Here is a list of some who want to stay back, here in Ketterdam. You think you have any jobs?"

Kaz's scowl hardened a little more at the word 'we', but nonetheless, he reached out for the list of the names. "Depends on the jobs. My sphere of influence is only so large." Kaz huffed, reading over the list once he was handed them. 

"Not everyone wants to join a gang, and very few 'legitimate' businesses care to associate with my kind. Is that all?" Kaz asked, moving the list onto the desk. His eyes were cold, a distant storm brewing.

Inej was afraid that Kaz would say something like that, that his cold personality wouldn't just take anyone and the reasons are legit he can't hire anyone just for the sake of it. She took another deep breath before saying, "We are leaving a day after tomorrow and before that, I have to ensure a way for them to earn a living. It's not about gangs but they can surely work in factories."