16.✓

"They've been talking for a couple of minutes, I left to give them some space, can you grab those Kvas, please? Try not to drop them." Wylan was grinning far too much today, he wasn't worried about what Kaz and Inej were doing. 

He was more worried that if he came back he might walk in on them doing something, like holding hands. He began to walk back to the living room Jesper close behind.

***

Sybia would walk the streets of ketterdam, being careful about who she passed. She'd feel people's eyes on her. Her swift movements would let her slip past the guard at the Crow Club easily. 'They really should fire that dude.' She'd mutter under her breath as she entered. 

She'd sit in the back of the Crow Club. Her fingers drumming the table, waiting impatiently. "Where are they?" She'd ask herself.  A voice behind her would say. "So, you're Sybia.."

Vlam started to get cocky, almost arrogant. He was controlling the small flame well, so he thought he could handle a larger one. Giving the fire more fuel, he watched as the flames slowly started to crawl along the floor of the building, eating up the wood, leaving deeper scorched grooves on the already damaged flooring. 

Soon sweat started to bead down his neck and face, his arms grew tired. But damn, he felt good. His eyes sparkled and his skin shone. Soon, Vlam started to panic, the flames started growing rapidly out of his control. He tried to pull them back, stop them. But he couldn't, and before he knew any better he heard stadwatch shouting to warn the merchants. 

Boots took off towards the district, while officers agreed to just let the flame burn itself out, only put out what tried to spread. It was already abandoned anyway. The officers hung around the area, not really guarding much, allowing Vlam to slip out onto the streets. 

He laid in a nearby alleyway, smelling of ash and charred wood. Damn, he was tired, but he still felt giddy. He rolled over to watch the warehouse burn, just happy to watch the flames dance.

***

When Kaz's hand squeezed Inej's she understood the unasked question, but is she ready to come back yet? Is she ready to stop sailing and hunting slavers? The answer was clear in her head but her heart was in turmoil. Kaz's words were ringing in her ears, penetrating deep till her heart. 

Kaz's warmth is not something she wanted to let go of, it was a promise to always be with her and fight beside her, it was soft comfort she couldn't let herself get used to. The boy in front of her was changing, and she knew he trying to change for her. 

But her duty lies on the ship with cold waves and heavy downpours, so she pulled her palm out from under his and slowly curved her hands around his frame, carefully her head went to rest on his chest, she could hear his heart beating fastly, his rhythm going along with her's. He smelled like leather and blood and home still she said the unavoidable words "I can't."

Kaz stilled as Inej hugged him, going rigid as his mind came to a screeching halt. He flinched as she spoke, blinking a couple of times. He slowly wrapped his arms around Inej, his hold light and easy to break, a quiet sigh escaping him. 

He couldn't bring himself to fully enjoy the moment, knowing it would end soon. He lowered his head so that his forehead touched the crown of Inej's head. Breathing deeply, he allowed himself to be in the bittersweet moment. 

This was worth waiting for, no matter how much it hurt. He felt safe, for the first time in a very long time, he felt himself relax, despite how quickly his heart was beating, for once it wasn't out of panic.