13.✓

Kwet shifted carefully on her feet, limbs stiffening up as she listened to Sybia and her sister. She needed to get all the details possible—after all, it seemed like they were after Kaz and this girl, Inej, and most definitely weren’t seeking out a simple conversation.

She gripped the chimney above her, shaking out her arms silently as she monitored the two cloaked girls.

Sybia sneaked through the Crow Club, trying not to draw any attention to herself. Her cloak hid her slim frame. Her shoes were silent as she walked around.

Finally, she got to a table. Putting her hat on the chair next to her, her eyes scanned the area. She spotted a figure in the corner, smiling at her. She blinked then, a sudden dizziness swept through her. The ground would rushed up and everything went black.

After Inej delivered her message, she left Kaz and his room behind. She wasn't sure whether Kaz got the hint that she'd leave soon; if he did, he didn't say anything.

She turned back, took a deep breath and said, "I missed you too, Kaz."

Before going back to the Van Eck mansion, Inej decided it would be wise to go around and try to understand what had happened in six months, how gangs were functioning and merchants keeping their pockets warm.

Stalking from alley to alley, Inej tried to observe as best as she could. It was then that she spotted the girl in the animal skin hood again, standing on one of the grimy rooftops. Her back was towards Inej, but just like last time, she seemed very much aware of her surroundings.

"Saints give that girl courage to survive," she muttered under her breath and took the road to Van Eck mansion.

Kwet scrambled down the drain pipe when she saw Sybia making her way to the Crow club, then inside.

Where in the hells is that bouncer? she thought as she ducked inside and scrambled to find the girl.

This was dangerous—a girl out for Kaz in the middle of their club. She nearly tripped over somthing on the floor, only to find the cloaked girl. She threw back her hood, taking in the girl’s features, just in case she got away again.

She turned the unconscious girl on to her back before pinning her arms behind and tying them with some rope.

“Can I get some help?” she asked a buff guy, making sure he was a Dreg by the tattoo on his arm. “She’s Sybia, the girl who’s been following Kaz. The other one is trying to find a girl named Inej.”

“Inej? She’s at the Van Eck mansion with the boss. They’re...well—close,” he fumbled, not aware how to define their relationship.

Kwet cursed beneath her breath, leaving the man to tie up Sybia in a chair. This didn’t look good. After all, Jinx was headed to kill Inej. She could easily kill Kaz as well, and other Crows.

Kwet leaped onto the Van Eck mansion, searching for Jinx as her falcon flew high above. She had to stop this girl before things got bad.

Sybia woke up to see a strange man next to her.

"What the hell?"

She looked around, the ropes were loosely tied. She smirked and quietly pulled out her switchblade. Cutting the ropes, she strolled out of there as casually as she could so as to not draw any attention.

"These people are too drunk for their own good," she mumbled to herself.

While deciding her next move, she headed to the Van Eck mansion on a hunch.

Jason opened his wardrobe and changed out of his normal attire to his black hood and pants. He smiled as he placed his knives in the secret pockets and buckled his hatchets to his back.
"Alright, let's go spy on a crow."