17.✓

Vlam basically leapt from his coat, spinning around to face Kaz before realizing who it was. He didn't relax too much, he didn't really trust him completely yet. His eyes were dilated slightly, and his skin was still vibrant. 

He almost looked drunk, but to anyone who had been around Grisha, it was clear he had just used his abilities. Vlam hesitated for a moment, well, more than a moment. Did he violate some rule by burning down his building? Just how badly did he screw up here. Opening his mouth, then closing it, sighed. "I was being an idiot."

Inej followed Kaz, tiptoeing as his shadow. She followed him to a burnt-down building, she picked up some parts when she heard the officer talking to Jes and Wylan but she didn't take it as Kaz's doing. It's not his style, and then a guy came into her line of vision, Kaz's expression changed. She watched, she doesn't need to hear him to know the degree of his anger. 

She remained in shadow, taking note of her surrounding, the guy was smart, he realized he was in trouble before Kaz said much. She looked carefully but still didn't recognize the guy, "Maybe he is new. Saints save him from Kaz's wrath." She murmured softly.

"Clearly," Kaz drawled, eyes narrowing. "Idiocy is not something I will tolerate, it would be wise for you to remember that. Why did you burn down this building?" Kaz's hand tightens around the pistol hidden in his coat pocket. A Grisha Inferni is a powerful tool, but should it be his enemies, then they need to be dispatched as quickly as possible.

Vlam was surprised, expecting to be shot. Quickly cleaning the surprise off his face, he looked behind Kaz at the flaming building. He watched the fire for a moment, as it ate at the already charred wood, finishing it to ash. His eyes became an amber color, and he shook himself before turning back to Kaz. He kept a wary eye on his leader, unsure how far he'd go for money. 

"It was burned down and abandoned already. Plus, I don't like being sick as much as the next person. It was this." He lifted his hand to gesture at the burning warehouse, before realizing he definitely shouldn't raise his hand and dropped it quickly before resting them both on his lap. "Or not being able to move, and possibly passing out on the road." Vlam finished. He regarded Kaz curiously for a moment before asking, "Why? Was the building important?"

***

As Jesper helped clean up and store away some of the food they had prepared, he thought to himself why the building would've caught up in flames, for the second time. Surely this wasn't some faulty wiring Jesper thought... he was curious the first time, but this time he was suspicious. Things are changing and Jesper's not sure he likes it. Jesper now has tasted what it feeling like to be responsible for not only himself and Wylan but for the company, he's helping Wylan manage. It wasn't something Jesper was used to, but something Jesper had to do in order to help Wylan.

Something that Jesper thought was to be a little relaxing dinner with a handful of his old friends, his family, ended abruptly... Kaz seemed angered, and Inej seemed antsy. This wasn't an accident of faulty wiring, but Jesper knew it wasn't something to worry too much about... at least for the moment anyway. 

"I'll finish cleaning up Wylan, you can head on up. You have another meeting in the morning, and I don't want my merchling to be tired." Jesper spoke with a cheerful light tone, happy that Wylan was learning to become a good businessman... but in the morning Jesper was going to inspect what may have happened.

***

Kaz scowled at him. "You think it will go unnoticed that a building randomly caught fire with no obvious cause. Not everyone on the streets are idiots," Kaz shot a pointed look at Vlam, pinning him with a glare. "They will investigate, and word of a loose inferni will be out on the streets. I don't think either of us will want the crowd that follows that rumor. You need something to burn, you don't go around and take whole buildings! You aren't the only Grisha hiding here, yet you don't see people dropping dead whenever a Heartrender is feeling a little woozy." Kaz snarled, stepping closer threateningly.