44.✓

Oiche frowned slightly and jumped up from where she was, and followed Kaz to the door. Obviously concerned about where he was going, and honestly a bit curious too. 

Her tail stopped wagging as she stood next to Kaz, awaiting an order to leave or follow. Though, if he didn't give an order, the dog would follow him anyway.

Inej stared intensely at Kaz. He was right. As much as she loved to be there and spend some time peacefully with friends, she, or more like they, couldn't. Inej sighed, wondering if they ever will get to live like normal teens, enjoying with friends over late afternoon lunch or Sunday dinner without any care about what might happen at the best moment. 

But that was something she could only wish for, and there will always be someone to look out for, something to fight for. To save themselves or their loved ones. It wasn't a life she chose, but she didn't regret either. 

"Just take care of yourself. I'll be around soon."

Kaz nodded, "I've managed this long, think I can manage a little longer." He smirked before pushing off the door frame. 

"Tell Wylan I said goodnight, will you? I don't really know where he went off to." Kaz scowled. He made his way out of the mansion, noticing a certain fluffy character continuing to follow him. He sighed, opening the door. 

"Go back to Vlam," he grumbled, closing the door. Taking a glance around the street, Kaz made his way alone through the dark, the steady rhythm of his cane easing his consciousness. Kaz considered how to stop this from happening in the future, how to keep his friends safe. 

Unfortunately, it seemed doing what he wanted most would be the hardest decision to make. He was the Bastard of the Barrel. He'd never be safe. But they could. He would think about it later. There were more pressing matters to be seen to first.

When the door clicked shut, Oiche barked softly, scratching at the base of the door for a moment.  She then paused and braced her paws on the door before pawing at the knob for a while. After many tries, it clicked open. 

She dropped onto her feet, shoved her nose into the crack, and was on the street, following Kaz's trail. Yes, the dog had a moment of hesitation. She was leaving her master. Though, there was a deep suspicion clawing at her stomach.

When the boy with the cane came into view, she dropped into a creep to follow him. Her fuzzy stomach nearly dragging on the cobble roads. Whenever Kaz would glance back at the sound of paw steps, she'd freeze in the shadows. Waiting for him to continue.

Vlam had long since fallen asleep on the couch. His head still rested on the back of it. His face was troubled, though, and his hand was resting where he kept his dagger. So waking him up might result in a stabbing. 

The image of Jason bleeding out on the floor had brought back memories still too fresh for comfort. His mother, throat cut on the tiled floor of his kitchen. A small knife laying nearby. 

The perpetrator standing smugly over her, holding her prized necklace.

The teen shifted slightly but didn't wake.

Kaz sighed. He knew Oiche was following him. But, he'd deal with her later. It wasn't like he knew how to order her away anyway. He didn't mind her following him, didn't understand why she did. 

Kaz eyed each passing shadow, nodding to every other Dreg. The pigeons still flocked the streets despite the late hour.

Inej went to find Wylan in the big mansion. After checking rooms and different places, she went on the lawn and found him sitting in one corner.