29.✓

Inej followed him to the mansion always walking close by, feeling his presence around her. Inej was afraid to let go as if he'd vanish. 

That she'd again find herself tied up to a chair and then another man will come and... a shiver ran down her spine. She gripped the sleeve of his coat telling herself that he isn't a dream that he is actually here.

Kaz gently touched Inej's hand on his own sleeve, "I need to unlock this door," he murmured. Then with his free hand, he reached for the lockpicks behind his molars, he pulled the slim pieces of metal out, and now with both, his hands made swift work of the door. 

Gently letting Inej in and shutting the door, locking it behind him. It was eerily quiet, it made him nervous. Where was Wylan, where was Jesper?

Inej gulped and kept walking until she reached the living room. Then as if she was holding on for too long, was standing for a very long time, and was exhausted she just sat on the ground and held her knees close to her chest as the emotions took over and loud cries escaped her mouth.

Kaz limped into the living room, aided by his cane. He remembered when she has made her first kill, he had her sobbing in her room, praying. He'd ignored her. He could do the same now. He could go look for Wylan, for Jesper. 

But... leaving her like that felt wrong. He walked to the chair across from Inej, and lowered himself onto the floor, and stretched out his bad leg, leaning against the chair. It could have been an account to how tired he was, but it wasn't that uncomfortable. 

"Tell me about your home. Your childhood." He rasped, talking helped. It helped him, but clearly, she couldn't fully hear him, he wasn't enough to pull her from her trauma. 

But maybe her own voice could pull her back, she had climbed out of hell on her own before. The trick to falling is getting back up. He watched Inej, unguarded, gloveless, and patient.

Inej kept crying, her eyes were puffy red and her face was damp because of the tears still she couldn't stop. She thought she would never go through that again, the memories of Menagerie were deep inside her heart until... until today. 

Kaz's voice was a low whisper against her sobs. He asked something but Inej didn't fully register what. She tried looking up but decided otherwise, he doesn't need to see her like this. To see her falling apart.

"Inej." He made his voice sterner, a little louder. He wouldn't have her hide from him. He always found her anyway. "Talk to me." He pleaded, tilting his head and trying to catch her downcast eyes.

"No... Kaz... leave... " Those were the only words she was managed in between her sobs...

"Is that what you want?" Kaz asked, forcing himself to not go cold. His voice to remain even, calm, and gentle. Ignoring the faint dread curling in the pit of his stomach. 

Maybe he'd been right, it was only a dream. He shook himself internally. It didn't matter. He waited for Inej, maybe all she needed was space. To be alone and reassure herself without his presence. He'd go seek out Jesper, or Wylan. It'd be fine.

Wylan smiled at the dog and helped steady the other boy, walking towards the mansion. Every so often checking to see if he was okay. When he reached the mansion he heard noises.

Cautiously he opened the door and walked inside, "Stay quiet," Wylan whispered to the boy with the dog. He heard noises from the living room and walked slowly up to it. 

Inside he saw Kaz, Inej, but no Jesper. "Where's Jesper?" Then he saw Inej crying "Are you okay Inej?" He asked softly.

Vlam stagged with the boy, nodding when he was told to be quiet. Oiche had glared at Wylan the whole way, clearly not liking the fact that he was so close to Vlam. Once they headed into the living room, Vlam was a bit too dazed to recognize Kaz and swayed slightly where he stood.