37.✓

Vlam nodded, then turned to Oiche. "Féach air," He muttered to the wolfdog, and her demeanor changed. Her sharp ears stood straighter on her head, her head lowered slightly, her shoulders bunched, and her eyes narrowed. Alert. 

Vlam seemed satisfied and turned back to Wylan, nodding for him to lead the way. He wanted to give the young freckled merch something else to focus on, and leading him around seemed like the most win-win situation. 

"If you're ever bored enough, I might be able to teach you Kaelish, depends on how many jobs Mister Brekker sends my way." The older teen had yet to address Kaz by his name. He wasn't sure if it was respectful or not... then again, he wasn't sure how to address him. 

The librarians always went by Mister or Miss. Then again, Kaz wasn't a librarian, and this wasn't the country. Though addressing his boss by any of his nicknames, or his name, didn't quite fit yet. 

That would be until the Barrel Boss says otherwise.

"Maybe," Wylan said as he stepped out of the back door to the streets of Ketterdam. He looked back to make sure Vlam wasn't keeling over and then turned back to face the rushing wind and impending rain. 

He took Vlam down a few side streets Jesper had shown him on the way to the slat and didn't say much as they walked. He had a lot on his mind.

Vlam followed Wylan out of the house, nearly falling on his face down the stairs. Thankfully he caught himself on the handrail, then jogged to catch up with the merch. The older teen's balance was still off, but it wasn't as noticeable. 

He frowned up at the stormy clouds, shaking his head before he turned his attention to the streets. "Do ya know what they say about storms on the farm?" Vlam asked a moment later, just wanting to make conversation.

"Let's go, it isn't like we have time to spare." Inej said with a straight face. Caden can act like whatever he wants. It shouldn't be her concern to think about his anger and irritation. 

Her friend is in danger, and as much as she tried to assure Kaz that Jesper isn't dead, the fear in her own heart is increasing minute by minute. There's no level of cruelty that Donahue will think twice before reaching, and wasting more and more time will be like pushing Jesper deeper and deeper. She shudders at the thought of that. Taking a deep breath, she headed towards the Slat.

Kwet managed to wrangle the cat back into the cage, breathing heavily as blood leaked from the scratches on her face. 

"You're lucky I don't kill you now." She spat at the cat, who was currently trying to get back out of the cage that was much too tightly locked now. 

She looked up at the rafters, a perk of being on the top floor, and pulled herself atop the wood. She let her legs swing below as she remained hidden in the shadows. 

She liked it this way, felt more secure hidden and up high. 

She glanced at the target she had hung up, a picture of a group of men. Several tears decorated the parchment, proving how accurately she threw her ax. Those men would burn. The men had plucked her from her beautiful homeland and thrown her into this hell of city life. 

Once she had the money, the protection, the skill, she would make those men hurt. Bleed.

She popped a caramel into her mouth, sighing as it melted in her tongue, how she longed for the Rose candies her mother had once made with the sap of trees and petals of wild roses. These didn't compare but gave some comfort. 

She swung backward, hanging upside down like a bat as she watched the cat.

Wylan kept his gaze forward. Vlam was not really helping. He was trying, but farms just made him think of Jesper. "No, what do they say about farms?" He asked, dodging a puddle.