15.✓

"I-I don't know," Wylan's shoulders slumped. "I guess I can't stop either of you."

Kaz's eyes narrowed, his bitter black gaze staring him down. "That's not what I asked Wylan."

"I don't want him to go, but l don't want to stop him from doing what he wants. It's not a good idea, no, but it's not horrible" that was the only answer Wylan could give. "Do you want a drink?"

"Yes," Kaz smirked, the cold expression fading, lifting his cane in a way that clearly meant 'lead the way'. "Did Jesper talk to you about it more after I left?"

Wylan walked out of the hall and towards the living room, "No." He pointedly looked away from Kaz's face.

"He'll hear us if we keep talking about him," Wylan said steering the conversation away from Jesper. "What would you like?"

Kaz followed, easily keeping up with Wylan despite his leg. "Hm, have any Kvas?" Kaz asked, his eyes drifting along the halls of the mansion, memorizing it, looking for differences. Wylan's answer solidified Kaz's decision on the whole issue. His fingers tapped lightly on his cane. A drink would do him good, something for his nerves.

"Probably, I'll ask Jesper," Wylan said walking into the living room.

Inej heard the voices before she saw the two entering the room. Something was clearly wrong, Kaz's shirt had bloodstains all over it despite a relaxed, calm expression on his face. 

Hearing the conversation Inej understood the scenario but thought it better not to jump in, she shouldn't say anything about Jesper joining the Dregs again, not when she is going to leave as soon as possible. As Kaz entered she tried pushing away the hurtful thought of leaving ketterdam again, she caught his eye and there was something she failed to catch.

As they entered, Inej stood up from the couch and looked at Kaz with one raised eyebrow and arms crossed over her chest. Hoping to get at least a little explanation for that blood, she was sure it's not his but there's nothing in double-checking.

Kaz copies her, raising his own eyebrow in return. "Something wrong, Wraith?" He rasps, his dark eyes never leaving hers. He knew she'd want to know about the blood, but it wasn't really her concern anyway. She'd be leaving soon, the less she knew, the better.

Wylan sensing that maybe this conversation didn't include him went to find Jesper and get kvas.

Inej rolled her eyes at Kaz's question, she knew he wouldn't tell easily but he could have given a genuine answer. When she saw Wylan leaving the room, she walked towards Kaz, "You can avoid killing, Kaz."

"And then I'd be burning on a barge somewhere out in the harbor," Kaz replies, his voice remained flat and unaffected. His gloved hand tightened on his cane head.

"I understand what you do and why you do that, but that cannot stop me worrying that those stains can be yours as well." She finally said her fear aloud, she didn't know how to explain it well. 

Six months on the ship and not even one day would have passed when she didn't fear Kaz getting in a big fight where he would have used some help but she was far, too far away to provide that. Looking down at her feet she took a step back.

Kaz sighed, shifting his weight. He had no words of comfort to offer her, none that rang true. It was a reasonable fear, one he understood all too well. Kaz slowly takes a step towards Inej, to counter the step back. 

"I understand," he says, lowering his raspy voice. "I can't help but worry if I'll ever see your ship again when you sail away," Kaz's jaws ticked, and his voice became hoarser at the words, they were raw and hard to get out.