3.✓

Kaz nodded, reluctantly returning to his chair. He kept his cane in hand though, an assurance to himself that he wouldn't be staying. Interlocking his gloved hands, he rested them on the top of the walking stick. He didn't really do well with small talk and instead opted for silence, rather than scrambling for the smallest comments and details to talk about.

After shrugging off Kaz's rejection for staying the night, Jesper was already talking about other topics. He wasn't surprised Kaz said no, but respected his decision nonetheless. The Barrel was stirring up once again, and opposing gangs wanted to constantly test Kaz's abilities and command as always.

Jesper sensed a storm brewing within the new shift of how Barrel bosses went. The new reign of Kaz being known set in stone the news of him being the new head of a prosperous gang. There would be new types of stress, new worries, and even new questions that will consume or pick at Kaz; But Jesper knew that he won't ask for help, or want anyone worrying for him.

As he stretched his arms, listening to Wylan and Kaz bicker on about business, he missed the old fun they used to have. Although Kaz may never have called it 'fun', as they were just old simple missions for Inej, and Kaz would do them for Per Haskell.

When it was Inej doing some recon and running ahead of them, while Kaz and him would occasionally mumble and even joke around a bit-drawing attention to themselves while Inej would ready the other distraction. Once it was cued for them to proceed on with their mission; running around back alleyways, going into the empty merchant houses, stealing valuables. Well Kaz did, Jesper stayed outside, watching. Inej would scout the area around just to be sure once the large distraction was made. But Jesper missed those times, knowing they were unlikely to happen ever again.

He cleared his throat. "Any problems with shipments coming in, Kaz?" Jesper questioned like his normal self.

"There was a large storm in the north eastern waters, I heard, near Novyi Zem, so our shipment may also be delayed for a day or two," Jesper added, making a new little conversation, somewhat relating to business-not that he was too interested; but only because it seemed to not hit too close to Kaz's personal life.

There wasn't much to talk about other than them missing Inej, Nina and long since missing Matthias. But tonight Jesper wouldn't be picking at Kaz's thoughts, let alone trust.

"A few pesky gangs, the Blacktips are inching into Fifth Harbor again, but they aren't going to make a move any time soon." Kaz turned his gaze to Jesper, listening to him talk.

His mind wandered off, he briefly let himself concern over Inej, though he doubted she'd be caught up and stopped by such a small thing as a few rough waves. His heart sank a little. He missed her presence. For someone known for disappearing without anyone noticing, she somehow made her presence in the group quite known. Kaz scowled, returning his focus to the conversation.

"Was the storm anywhere near your father's farm?" Kaz asked, leaning back against his chair, stretching his bad leg out.

"He got some of the backlash, a downpour and some hail. Didn't last too long but the crops almost flooded. Nothing too bad."

Jesper glanced at Wylan after he finished speaking. Wylan glanced back, they were thinking the same thing. Inej. Jesper cursed in his mind, knowing mentioning the storm would only bring them to worrying about Inej. But she's a strong, tough woman, and smart too.

Jesper tried to think of another happier subject, but the only other thing that popped into mind was Nina-yet another person who left Ketterdam for her journey and heart.

Jesper wondered why he didn't see Novyi Zem as home, or never really feel the need to leave. Had he been in Ketterdam for too long? Was it the constant busy streets that interested him? Or was it the fun and numerous criminal activities that fueled his adrenaline? He didn't know how to answer those questions yet, but he'd find a way eventually.