Chapter 44

“Papa, see this four year course in chemistry with medicinal chemistry as a specialization”, Parisa chirped cheerfully to her father as she showed her phone to Mr. Hariprakash Joshi who was sitting in his garden. She had opened the Website of Imperial College, London where her best friend was planning to apply for her higher studies. The cool breeze was blowing at six o’ clock in the evening of a Wednesday.

The retired brigadier looked at his daughter suspiciously as he asked a matter of fact, “So, who is going there?”

With an innocent smile plastered on her face, Parisa said, “Papa, umm… the admissions are open and… and… umm… I want to apply”.

The little girl had closed her eyes anticipating the wrath of her father who was boiling in anger and looking at her angrily.

Mr. Hariprakash Joshi was shocked beyond repair. He had visualized his daughter to make him proud by joining the Indian Air Force as a fighter pilot but his daughter had betrayed him. He looked down at the wet grass disappointed in his daughter who always preached that she wanted to serve the nation by joining the defence forces while Parisa’s heart was thumping loudly.

For the first time, Mr. Hariprakash Joshi felt proud of his eldest son who had never given him hopes that he would join army. He smiled as he thought Adhyayan was indeed, clear about his ambitions since the very beginning. The facial features of the old man softened as he admired his son’s success but as soon as Mr. Mehta’s insensitive words rang in his ears, the retired brigadier was back to his cold exterior.

“Why?” the old man roared angrily at his daughter making Parisa flinch in terror.

“Umm… Papa… actually I want to”, said Parisa meekly as she fumbled under the gaze of her agonized father.

Mr. Hariprakash Joshi closed his eyes calming down his anger. Taking a deep breath, he said, “Parisa, this is not happening”. Having said these words, the retired brigadier got up to leave.

Parisa followed him as she said, “Papa, please”, making an innocent face.

“Do whatever you want”, Mr. Hariprakash Joshi said getting irritated as he sat in his living room.

“O! Thank you so much, Papa”, Parisa said dramatically as she jumped over her father and hugged him leaving the old man shocked. Smiling at her father, Parisa said, “Give me your card, Papa. I need to pay my fee”.

Mr. Hariprakash Joshi helplessly glared at his daughter as he screamed, “I will not pay you a single penny for your admission and studies. Get lost!”

Lakshmi Joshi, the wife of the old man was startled at her husband’s agonizing voice. She came out of her bedroom to be a silent spectator of the drama happening in her house. Samar, the house-help was shocked beyond relief. Their pet, Charlie stood still looking at its master.

Parisa chuckled as she said, “Papa, I am the only child of yours, right. Will you not fulfil the wish of your daughter?” leaving everyone aghast in the room.

Lakshmi tried to intervene and stop her daughter while a loud thud echoed in the room.

Mr. Joshi had shut his eyes in dismay as he got up and slapped his precious daughter for the first time in his life leaving everyone shocked. Parisa flinched as her left cheek had imprint of the masculine hand of her father but internally she was happy.

“Adhyayan will remain my son forever no matter, how our relations are, you stupid girl!” Mr. Joshi shouted at his daughter as his wife came forward to console her child as tears trickled down from Parisa’s eyes. The intensity of slap was too much for her to handle.

Slumping down himself on the couch in the living room, Mr. Joshi said, “I was angry and disappointed at Adhyayan not because he chose to live his dreams but because he insulted me, avoided me and that moron never looked back.”

Parisa was beyond shocked as her father continued, “I asked him to leave and he just moved out leaving everything behind. I was angry but he never apologized.”

His wife looked disapprovingly at her arrogant husband but melted when Mr. Hariprakash Joshi said, “I fought with my wife, two years ago hoping he would come back for his mother at least but that egoistic moron did not care for me, his mother or you, stupid girl and never returned.”

Lakshmi, being a diligent wife, asked Samar to bring water for her husband who had tears in his eyes. Looking at everyone with melancholic eyes, Mr. Joshi sighed as he continued, “I lied in front of that journalist because I couldn’t create any problem for him. I know how these media-persons are. They just strive for TRP. He would have wondered while watching the show that his father wanted publicity.”

Taking a deep breath as he gulped down the glass of water, the old man questioned, “He never acknowledged me as his father in any of his shows then why should I?”

In a low voice, the retired brigadier mumbled humorlessly, “He has already ruined my reputation but I am not like him”.

“Papa, how did bhaiya ruin your reputation?” Parisa questioned her father calmly as she went and sat beside him.

Parisa explained her father calmly as she held her father’s hand encouraging him to think properly, “Just because of an idiot Mr. Mehta, you focused on family’s legacy. You were even ready to shatter bhaiya’s dreams and ruin his talent, Papa just because of a silly man.”

Mr. Hariprakash Joshi held his head hung in shame as his daughter spoke the truth.

Feeling proud of her daughter, Lakshmi said to her husband, “Hari, there are so many colleagues of yours who appreciate Adhyayan. You are known as Adhyayan’s father in your circle. He has made you proud. Keep your anger aside for once. I know you miss him. We all miss him. Let’s call him back.”

Samar’s eyes shone with happiness. Having been with Joshi’s since last ten years, the middle-aged servant had seen ups and downs of the Joshi family. He felt happy as things seemed to fall in place.

Mr. Joshi looked at the dazzling eyes of his gleeful wife and daughter helplessly as he said, “He is a big man now. He will not appreciate if we talk to him now. We were never there during his struggles. It is not right to disturb his happy, successful life now.” This time the retired brigadier could not meet the hopeful eyes of his family members.

“Parisa, get my wallet. I will give my card. Follow your dreams and make me proud.” Mr. Joshi said quickly changing the topic as he avoided everyone’s gaze.

Parisa just hugged her father and cried. Hiccupping she said, “I am in touch with bhaiya. I am calling him, please talk to him.”

Mr. Joshi was shocked, no doubts but he did not scold his daughter.

Parisa continued, “I will follow my dreams and become an Air Force Pilot. It is my friend who is going to London to pursue her higher studies. I wanted you to realize that you miss bhaiya. Please shun your anger, Papa”.

“I am sorry to have hit you, my little fairy”, the old man said hugging his daughter as he kissed her forehead.

Parisa dialed her brother’s number. Adhyayan, who was busy dealing with his customers due to shortage of staff in the peak hours of evening decided to call his sister later as he saw her caller ID on the screen. Putting his cellphone back in his pocket, he got back to work.

❤❤❤

Hi everyone

I know this chapter is a cliché with lots of funny drama but I couldn't come up with something else 😅

Please share your views on this chapter and finally this story is coming to an end with ofcourse a small chaos! 😉

Once this story is done, I have a mystery plot in my mind. Hopefully you will like it too. ♥️♥️♥️

Please hit the 🌟 button if you liked this story, pretty please 😘

Waiting for your lovely comments 💕💕💕💕

Love you all
💜