Chapter 57

Dedicated to every woman out there who slog at their workplace and manage their families too. 💖

❤❤❤

It was seven in the evening and Anvesha had returned to her 1BHK apartment. She sighed with defeat as she glanced at the screen of her phone. Adhyayan had not texted her since morning. She planned to visit him over the weekend as she changed her clothes and lied on her comfy bed after a hectic day when her phone rang. She scrunched her nose as she realized her father was calling her. She knew her father would talk about marriage, the hot topic of her life.

Debraj, on the other hand, knew what he had to do. As the clock struck seven in the evening, he made up his mind to speak to Anvesha. As soon as Anvesha received his call, he said, “Anu, I want you to meet Abhay. He is a Software Engineer working in Delhi. See, if things work out, we can get you married. He is a good boy.” Debraj took a deep breath as he finished the speech he had prepared since morning.

“What the hell is this, Papa?” Anvesha screamed at her father getting appalled. She was baffled at her father. “I am already engaged and I love Adhyayan”, she said angrily.

“Anu, we know you both have some compatibility issues and I want you to break this engagement”, Debraj said playing another stroke. He knew he had hit at the right nerve.

Anvesha was flabbergasted. She was totally speechless at the heights of imagination of her parents who were behaving irrationally. She took a deep calming down her anger, and said controlling her pitch, “Papa, we are compatible to each other. I cannot think of breaking this engagement. He means a lot to me.”

Enraged at her father, Anvesha said menacingly, “Don’t imagine things for God’s sake and I am not meeting anyone”.

Before Anvesha could disconnect the call, she was startled to hear her father’s question, “Do you love him, Anvesha?”

Anvesha nodded involuntarily as she mumbled a ‘yes’. It was then her father spoke, “Then why are you hurting him?”

“Did he say anything to you?” Anvesha questioned her father getting annoyed at Adhyayan as she presumed he must have said something to her father.

Debraj just chuckled at his daughter as he explained, “Anu, he wants to get married to you. He wants to stay with you forever. He did not say anything but I can sense his silence.”

“Last time when I said him that I am not ready for wedding, he simply agreed. Papa, stop lying.” Anvesha said strictly to her father as she could not accept the fact her father was speaking the truth.

Debraj, who was sitting on the terrace admiring the shimmering stars under the night sky, smiled, as he said, “Anu, he is the best for you. He can surely wait forever but we cannot. His parents want him to get married. Hariprakash ji was discussing about Adhyayan getting angry at the question of marriage.”

Anvesha was shocked as she connected the dots and realized Adhyayan was in pain because of her. Now, she could make sense of Adhyayan avoiding her texts, calls and dates. She felt terrible as she wondered her adorable fiancé was saddened because of her and she was not even aware of his plight.

Her father continued, “You know whenever they ask their son about your wedding, he says that marriage can wait because you are not ready. Anu, tell me one thing, you have been ready for this love affair of yours and you guys, are engaged. You are doing well in your career. How much time do you want to get married, Anu?”

Anvesha closed her icy blue eyes controlling the tears which were flowing through them. She sighed in defeat as she said, “Papa, I don’t know but I am not ready for this marriage. I don’t think I will be able to be a good wife. I don’t know how I would manage my career with responsibilities of a family. I don’t know if I will be able to give happiness to him. I cannot marry.” Confessing everything, Anvesha was dejected.