iii. The End of the World

"Who's in charge of Platform One? Is there a captain or what?" asks the Doctor.

"There's just the steward and the staff. All the rest is controlled by the metal man," says Jabe. "You mean the computer? But who controls that?" I ask her.

"The Corporation. They move Platform one from one artistic event to another," she tells us. The Doctor and I are silent for a moment. "But there's no one from the corporation on board," says the Doctor. "They're not needed. This facility is purely automatic. It's the height of the alpha class. Nothing can go wrong," says Jabe.

"Unsinkable?" I ask.

"If you like. The nautical metaphor is appropriate," says Jabe.

"You're telling us. I was on board another ship once. They said that was unsinkable... I ended up clinging to an iceberg, it wasn't half cold," says the Doctor. I look at him confused.

"Titanic?" I ask.

"Yes. So, what you're saying is, if we get in trouble there's no one to help us out?" he asks.

"I'm afraid not," says Jabe. I sigh and look up at the Doctor and see that he's grinning like a mad man. Well, he already is but, still doesn't mean he can't be more of one. "Fantastic," says the Doctor. We all start walking again. "I don't understand. In what way is THAT fantastic?" asks Jabe. "Don't worry, Jabe. I still don't know why he keeps saying the word fantastic when something is life threatening but, that's the Doctor for you. Weird in all ways but still amazing," I tell her. I feel the Doctor look at me so I look up at him. "What?" I ask.

"How do you trust me so quickly?" he asks me. I shrug my shoulders.

"I'm not a very trusting person and I don't know why but in the back of my mind," I say whilst poking my head. "To trust you and it's bugging me to know because I want to know why. Because it seems as if I've known you before but my brain isn't telling me how I know you," I say. The Doctor nods his head and looks back at Jabe and so do I.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, tell me, Jabe. What's a tree like you doing in a place like this?" asks the Doctor.

"Respect for the Earth," she says.

"Oh, come on. Everyone on this platform's worth zillions," he says.

"Well... perhaps it's a case of having to be seen at the right occasions," she says.

"In case your share price drops? I know you lot. You've got massive forests everywhere, roots everywhere, and there's always money in land," the Doctor says.

"All the same. You respect the Earth as family. So many species evolved from that planet. Mankind is only one. I'm another. My ancestors were transplanted from the planet down below. And I'm a direct descendant of the tropical rainforest," says Jabe. I look at her impressed but then lets go of my hand and points to the control panel. "Excuse me," he says. He gets out his sonic and starts poking the screen with it. "And what about your ancestry, Doctor? Perhaps you could tell a story or two... perhaps a man only enjoys trouble when there's nothing else left..." says Jabe but there is no answer. "What about you Galaxy? Any stories about your anesctory? Parents?" Jabe asks me.

"I don't know my real parents. They're both dead," I mutter quietly. I wrap my arms around myself to give me a hug. "But your last name is Tyler, isn't it? Wouldn't your parents be the same as your sister's?" asks Jabe.

"I'm adopted! So of course they aren't!" I yell at Jabe whilst taking my arms off of myself. "I didn't even have a last name before Jackie took me in so drop it! Alright?" I ask. Jabe doesn't respond and turns back to the Doctor who's now looking at me. "I'm gonna go. I'll see you soon," I tell him and I walk off to find Rose again. I wrap my arms back around myself and walk down a corridor and see the Adherents of the Repeated Meme pulling someone down the corridor. I see a glint of blonde and I sigh. "You can't stay out of trouble can you, Rose?" I ask myself. I follow after them silently and stops when they walk out of a viewing gallery and towards the Manchester Suite. I walk into the room and find Rose laying down on the floor at the front of the room. I walk up to her and start to shake her awake. "Rose? Rose, wake up," I whisper to her. I look up and see the sun filters moving down slowly.