i. The Doctor Dances

Previously:

Rose bends over one of the bodies, examining it whilst I look at the scar on a different body when they suddenly sit up. All of the others do the same. Rose and I jump backwards and they all start saying "Mummy?" repeatedly.

"What's happening?" Rose asks us and I shrug my shoulders, grabbing onto the Doctor's hand. "I don't know," the Doctor says, squeezing my hand. The gas-mask people all get out of bed and start to enclose us. "Don't let them touch you," the Doctor says.

"What happens if they touch us?" Rose asks.

"You're looking at it," I tell her as they continue to chant 'mummy' as the four of us back against a wall. The gas-masked people surround the Doctor, Rose, Jack and me, still calling for "mummy"

Now:

The Doctor looks at the gas-masked people sternly. "Go to your room!" the Doctor exclaims but the gas-masked people hesitate. "Go to your room!" the Doctor repeats and they all tilt their heads in confusion. "I mean it! I am very, very angry with you! I am very, very cross! Go... to... your... room...!"

The Doctor points in no particular direction and by a miracle, they all turn away meekly and walk away. I sigh in relief. "I'm really glad that worked. Those would've been TERRIBLE last words," the Doctor tells us before grabbing onto my hand and Rose goes to sit on a bed and Jack goes to sit on a chair. "Why are they all wearing masks?" Rose asks us.

"They're not. Those masks are flesh and bone," Jack tells Rose and I shake my head.

"How was your con supposed to work?" the Doctor asks Jack.

"Simple enough, really. Find some harmless piece of space-junk... let the nearest Time Agent track it back to Earth. Convince him it's valuable, name a price. When he's put 50% up front, oops! A German bomb falls on it, destroys it forever. He never gets to see what he's paid for. Never knows he's been had. I buy him a drink with his own money, and we discuss dumb luck. The perfect self-cleaning con,"

"Yeah. Perfect," the Doctor tells him.

"The London Blitz is great for self-cleaners, Pompeii's nice if you want to make a vacation of it though, but you've got to set your alarm for volcano day," Jack says, laughing at his own joke whilst the Doctor merely looks at him and Jack's laughter dies away. "Getting a hint of disapproval."

I smirk at Jack, crossing my arms and raising my eyebrows. "Ya think?" I ask him.

"Take a look around the room. This is what your "harmless piece of space-junk" did," the Doctor spits.

"It was a burnt-out medical transporter, it was empty," Jack nearly yells.

The Doctor looks at Jack darkly before walking off, dragging me with his but I manage to keep my balance and I start to walk on my own. "Rose," the Doctor turns to her.

"We getting out of here?" Rose asks, getting up from the bed.

"We're going upstairs," the Doctor tells me and Rose before the Doctor and I walk towards the door with Rose following us and Jack calling after us.

"I even programmed the flight computer so it wouldn't land on anything living, I harmed no-one! I don't even know what's happening here, but believe me, I had nothing to do with it," Jack tell us.

"I'll tell you what's happening. You forgot to set your alarm clock. It's volcano day," the Doctor says.

A siren goes off in the distance. "What's that?" Rose asks confused.

"The all-clear," Jack tells us.

"I wish," the Doctor says before we walk out of the ward with Rose and Jack following.