ii. Father's Day

The Doctor and I rush towards the church, from where the TARDIS is parked, as fast as they could. Once they got to the ground, the Doctor starts to yell. "Rose! Get into the church!" the Doctor yells. Rose turns and a smug look appears on her face. "Get in the church."

A large thing with bat-like wings appears in the sky, hissing and swooping. Rose screams as the Doctor pushes her to the floor just in time to avoid its talons. Two more creatures appear, randomly trying to pounce on people.

"Oh, my god," a woman breathes. "What are they?"

"Inside," the Doctor commands, pushing several people in the direction of the doors.

The groom freezes, looking around frantically. "Sarah!" he yells out.

"Stay in there," the Doctor tells him.

An older man tries to run away but he got pounced on while another of the creatures blocks the bride's path. She screams, raising her hands to cover her face. I grab her arm as the creature flies off to pounce on the vicar instead, pulling her alone and into the church.

As soon as everyone is inside, the Doctor slams the doors on the creatures. "They can't get in. Old windows and doors. Okay. The older something is, the stronger it is. What else?" he squeezes his eyes shut for a moment. "Go and check the other door. Move!"

"What's happening?" Jackie shrieks. "What are they?"

"There's been an accident in time," the Doctor waves off. "A wound in time. They're like bacteria. Taking advantage."

Jackie frowns. "What do you mean, time? What are you jabbering on about, time?"

I turn my attention from the Doctor to the couple, sitting huddled together on one of the benches. "Are you alright?" I ask them.

"Yes, thanks to you," Sarah smiles shakily. "What are those things?"

"In all honesty, I don't actually know. But I promise you, if anyone can help, it's the Doctor. I promise you that this will turn out alright... in the end," I tell them.

"My dad was out there," the groom mutters.

"You can mourn him later," the Doctor says. "Right now we've got to concentrate on keeping ourselves alive."

He shakes his head. "My dad had..."

"There's nothing I can do for him," the Doctor cuts him in.

I roll my eyes at the Doctor.

"But he had this phone thing. I can't get it to work," Stuart gestured. "I keep getting this voice."

"Watson, come here. I need you. Watson, come here. I need you."

I blink in surprise. "Isn't that Alexander Graham Bell?"

"It is," the Doctor sighs. "I don't think the telephone's going to be much use.

"Is this because....? Is this my fault?" I hear Rose ask from behind the Doctor and me.

I shake my head and walk away from Rose because I didn't want to deal with her at the moment. It was her fault this happened but she couldn't blame her because she didn't know what was going to happen. As a matter of fact, neither did the Doctor or I.

I walk over to Jackie and the baby she is looking after. I step closer nervously. The only babies I had ever been close to were ones that she came into contact with at work and that wasn't very often.

Jackie looks up at me and smiles. "Can you do me a favour and look after Rose for a moment? I need to check on Mickey."

I nod my head as Jackie gets up. "Sure," I tell her, watching her as she walks away and I sit down next to baby Rose in the carrier. I glance down at the baby version of Rose and pick her up gently, placing her in my arms and looking down at her. "You're a cute little one, aren't you?" I ask her and she giggles.