iv. World War III

Rose is leaning against the long table, Harriet sitting down beside her, the Doctor is leaning on one of the metal shutters, frowning and I'm sat on the table, reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. "Alright, Doctor," mum sighs through the speaker. "I'm not saying I trust you, but there must be something you can do."

"If we ferment the port, we could make acetic acid," Harriet suggests.

"Mickey, any luck?" Rose asks.

"There's loads of emergency numbers. But they're all on voicemail," Mickey says. I look up at the Doctor and see him frowning. "Voicemail dooms us all," Harriet says.

"If we could just get out of here," Rose says.

"There's a way out," I hear the Doctor say so I shut my book and get off of the table.

"What?" I ask him confused.

"There's always been a way out," he repeats.

"Then why don't we use it?" Rose asks. The Doctor walks over to the table and leans over a chair next to me, looking at the phone. "Because I can't guarantee your daughters will be safe," the Doctor says.

"Don't you dare! Whatever it is, don't you dare!" mum exclaims.

"That's the thing. If I don't dare, everyone dies." the Doctor tells my mum.

"Do it," I tell the Doctor and he looks up at me.

"You don't even know what it is. You'd just let me?" he asks.

"Yeah," I tell him and he looks at me, frozen.

"Please, Doctor!" mum cuts in. "They're my daughters! They're just kids!"

"Do you think I don't know that?" the Doctor snaps, not taking his eyes off of me. "Because this is my life, Jackie! It's not fun, it's not smart! It's just standing up and making a decision because nobody else will!" the Doctor looks down at the phone. 

"Then what are you waiting for?" I ask him. The Doctor's head snaps up towards me. "I could save the world but lose you. Both of you," he tells me and I look at him in sorrow.

"But... no one in this room is more important than this planet," I tell him.

"But you are to me, Galaxy... I can't lose you," he mutters quietly, kissing my head and I hug him, looking at Rose who has a smirk on her face.

"Except it's not your decision, Doctor, It's mine," Harriet says, stepping forwards. The Doctor lets go and step back, but grabs my hand, not letting me go. "And who the hell are you?" mum asks.

"Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North," she answers curtly. "The only elected representative in this room chosen by the people for the people, and on behalf of the people I command you: Do it," she orders. The Doctor breaks out into a huge grin. Rose sits on the table, handing the Doctor the red briefcase. "How do we get out?" Rose asks the Doctor.

"We don't, we stay here," he replies, flipping through the emergency protocols.

*********

The Doctor reluctantly lets go of my hand when I tell him that I want to put everything back into my bag, so I'm now beside Rose, putting my book, laptop and other things into the bag, including Rose's jacket. The Doctor was relaying to Mickey what he had to do whilst I do this. "Use the buffalo password, it overrides everything," the Doctor tells him.

"What're you doing?" mum asks.

"Hacking into the Royal Navy," Mouse breathes in awe, not believing himself. "We're in..." he informs us. "Here it is, uh... H.M.S. Taurean, Trafalgar Class Submarine, ten miles off the coast of Plymouth."