0 6

Chapter Six

When Nate finally left the room, I was finally able to breathe. My breath hitched as I saw the delicate necklace around my neck. A small diamond moon sat in the middle of my chest. My fingers moved to the clip on the chain only to pause. I couldn't remove it. I decided for the ceremony I would leave it and take it off after.

I would give it back to him tonight.

When arrived on the beach I felt weak as I glared at Lindsey, taking in what she just told me. I had rushed down here to only find out that I would be walking down the aisle with the best man. I'd be walking with Nate.

"out of everything I have to do today, this is the one thing I dreaded" Lindsey said as she looked at me with guilt. Even in the rehearsal I was going to walk with a friend of George, why has this changed. Unless this was the plan all along.

The bride and groom were really making this day difficult for me.

"Listen" tammy calls me over. She has this sympathetic look on her face as she holds my hands in hers.

"you may not want to do this but it's just a walk Retta, I know he hurt you and believe me I hate him for it , but he saved you okay if he didn't love you wouldn't he have come for you wouldn't he have shot his own brother for you, c'mon Loretta that man is deeply and wholeheartedly in love with you I'm not saying go over there and forgive and forget but I am saying give him a chance. George wanted his best friends either side of him whilst he marries me so please" She begged me, I watched as she even got down on her knees.

"Tammy please get up" I looked around nervously. We were behind the flower wall that separated us from the all the guests waiting for the bride to appear.

He only shot his leg" I said, she was making this more dramatic that it actually was.

"No Loretta, Nate was going to shoot him. He had his gun aimed at his head, but George pushed Nate and that's why drew was shot in the leg" she explained to me.

Wait, what?

"one-night Loretta and then I won't push you anymore. You are free to do what you want"

Tammy didn't say anything else as her father waited for her. "I love you Loretta" she mouthed as she stood by her father. Only now did I notice Nate standing there. He had his head bowed.

He doesn't notice me until I stand next to him, I try and keep a little space between us by stepping to the side a little bit more. He seems to notice this but doesn't make a move yet, he might be respecting my personal space for once.

That is soon short lived when the music starts to play in the background. Some of the bride's maid's in front of us begin to walk down the aisle with their dates. It was our turn next, before I could take one step Nate's arm quickly snakes around my waist pulling me into his side. My body bumps with his leaving no space for me to hide or run away.

Everyone looks behind and they fix their eyes on both of us, it doesn't take a genius to know that myself and Nate aren't on great terms. They know that this wasn't easy, but this are our best friend's wishes.

I think I saw my dad's face pale, but my mum seems to whisper something into his ear before his face seems to relax and a smile takes over. I was thankful for my mum in that moment. As we start walking towards the front, I surprise both of us by linking my arm with his. I really didn't think it through, it just happened.

From the corner of my eye, I see Nate's lips curve into a smile. I really thought it would be a smirk, but I think he knows that if he did my arm would be out of his in a second. He doesn't seem to be satisfied because he soon takes my hand and brings it down before threading his fingers through mine, so we were holding hands.