Chapter 1: Unexpected

"It's the unexpected that changes our life."

  Y/n's P.O.V

This autumn breeze has a habit of affecting my hair, of tousling it into buoyant curls. It carries with it the redolence of the earth, soft after the washing of the rain and a sweet and unvarying sense of joy. And as it dances with the canopies of spark, it alights both eyes and soul, yet more as the feeling of a mother's lullaby, a comforting delight.

Red, orange, and yellow, in various diverse shades. All of them floating delicately on the soft breeze. It was as if a friendly hand was gently lowering them to the ground. Whispers between these leaves filled the air, whispers, and mutters. The air was cool and crisp, like a refreshing drink of cool water after hours in a desert. The breeze fluttered around, gently caressing everything it touched with fingers that had been a comfort to so many over their long, lonely years.

The cafe lies ahead, its royal blue paint shimmering in the first golden rays of the day. I can see the raindrops that cling, jewel-like to the name. Outside the sidewalk that will bustle in a few short hours is placid, the concrete oblivious to whether it is midday or midnight. My face smirks upward at the sight of the flower planter to the right, the city has put in new blooms that will give us flashes of sunny yellows and hot pinks through the springtime. If I stop walking right now I can almost hear the heartbeat of the city, quiet, like the ticking of an old Grandfather clock. Though I'm in no hurry I kept walking.

I entered there as I ordered my favorite hazelnut latte. It's my morning ritual. I couldn't go a single day without it. Within a few minutes, my coffee arrives. I turn my attention back to the cup. It's a venti, tall, frothy, and still hot. I want to resist it until I wait for someone, but without conscious thought, it is in my hand and the first milky sip creeps over my taste-buds and down my throat. After only a few minutes I am bathing in the kick of the caffeine.

Today I'm enjoying all these little things because I'm in a happy mood. Everything is so classic, elegant, and perfect. But one part of my mind was eager. Ugh! When he would come?

Now he is ruining my good mood. I continuously check my phone for the time. Now, because of my eagerness, I can't even enjoy my latte. I mentally started to curse him for being late.

Suddenly, my phone buzzes lightening its screen, showing a message from the unknown. I clicked as I read the message.' Sorry to hear the news. I guess now you know how I felt two years ago.'

What the hell! Why would someone unknown text me like this? What does it mean? What have I done two years ago? All these thoughts are clouding my mind. I think I should ignore it. Maybe someone mistakenly has sent this to me.

No, I can't be stuck into these' maybe.' Who the hell has texted me? That person is to blame for ruining my good mood. I immediately brought my phone as I type in 'who are you?' I hesitated for some time to send it. But I did it anyway.

Time passes but no answers. Now it's making me curious. The bell on the doorway of the cafe rings signaling someone has entered the cafe. I snapped my head to the doorway as I was hoping to see my future husband.

He's tall, beautiful, and has that aura of stunning going on for him. He looks quite lanky, but fit enough to have toned arms and abdomen; a dancer's body. As for his features, he has dark brown hair that covers his forehead, long enough to be touching his ears. His face is angular; with a sharp jaw, heart shaped lips, and eyes... His eyes are my favorite part. They're dark brown orbs that stared intensely and definitely eyes in which I can easily drown into with how sharp and breathtaking his stares are. Eyes that cut like a knife and at the same time, eyes that can look through a soul.

But today he looks...somehow tired. He has a slight eye bag. Maybe he hasn't slept well last night. Or is he sick? A sudden rush of worry and concern hits me seeing him like that. He shouldn't ask me to come here if he's not feeling well.

He sits in front of me but doesn't get a glimpse of me. Ouch! That hurts. He just keeps his head low like he's staring at the floor. Why he's acting so weird today? He would often compliment me as a greeting. But today he doesn't even say 'hi'.

"Tae, are you okay?"I asked him as I place my hand on his in a soothing manner. But he doesn't hold my hand like he used to. Something is definitely so wrong. He finally looks up at me. His gaze was sad and tired and slightly puffy. Had he cried?

He gulps before opening his mouth to say something. But the words he spoke were so harsh, but he spoke it in a calming manner. Like it was nothing serious.

"I can't do this. I can't marry you."