Chapter 4: I'm Sorry

Bucky's POV

That's was the worst I've seen her get since Ultron. I was afraid she would pass out and go into a coma again.

The way she cried... screamed. Her past as been slowly eating at her. She doesn't show it, at all. She's good at hiding it, most of the time.

When she does show it, it's full force. No holding back. She's bottled it in too much and it all comes pouring out. And then she does it again.

She doesn't like talking about what she did. She doesn't tell me what they made her do or what they did to her. She used to... but now, she keeps it to herself.

They way she looked at me. The tears and guilt. The regret and hatred for herself was... unreal.

Hope... my Hope. She was terrified of herself and her past. HYDRA didn't show no mercy when it came to those kids. Hope wasn't the first kid, or the last.

It broke my heart into a million pieces seeing her cry like that. I just picture her crying in my head. Her calling herself those names.

She called me Winny... for the first time since HYDRA. At that moment, I pictured her as a kid. How I used to hold her when she cried. I wanted to help her, but I couldn't. I almost freaked out too.

I can't imagine what would have happened if Loki didn't show.

She has no idea how much she means to me. She has no idea how lost I would be without her.

This woman has helped me get through the pain, the restless nights, the memories, the nightmares. She's one of the main reasons I have hope for myself. That one day, I will get better. Maybe not as good as old Bucky, but better than the Winter Soldier.

She was just a child.

The most strong, smartest, mature five year old I have ever met.

She has gone through so much in her life. So much pain and yet she continues on.

Loki couldn't stay. He had to get back to Asgard because there wasn't anyone there to watch over the place. He did stay for a few hours.

He told me that he used his magic to put her at ease. It helped her calm down. I don't know what they talked about, but he said she would probably be tired today.

"Where you at White Wolf?!" I heard Princess Shuri's voice come from the living room. "You know I don't like to be bothered while in the lab. Only Hope and my brother have that privilege. And why did I have to bring a first aid kit?"

I winced as I turned my body to the bathroom door, opening it and walking out. I didn't have a shirt on. Hopefully she won't mind. It was bothering the burn mark on my side.

I walked onto the living room and seeing Okoye and Shuri. I smiled at the two. Okoye raised an eyebrow at me. Shuri's eyes widened as she stared at me.

"Woah! You are jacked! Now I see why Ayo always— holy chicken nuggets! What happened!?" Shuri exclaimed in shock as she noticed the large burn mark on my right side, just above my hip.

"Hope." I grunted as I dropped onto the couch. My skin was red, some of it was peeling.

"That's a second degree burn, Barnes. What did you do?" Shuri gave me a concerned look. She kneeled beside me, opening the aid kit she brought with her.