24

I walked up to the hostess nervously patting down the skirt I decided to wear

I walked up to the hostess nervously patting down the skirt I decided to wear. I was 10 minutes late just because of Oscar, once he heard date he didn't want to leave,using Alaïa as an excuse to stay. I felt chills running down my spine just thinking about the way he looked at me earlier.

God was really testing me.

I was about to give the hostess Nathan's name when he walked up

"It's fine she's with me." He told the hostess his eyes glued on me a faint smile on his face.

"You look absolutely gorgeous." He commented pulling me into a hug before we walked over to the table for two.

I looked around, this was a 5 star restaurant and I knew it was going to be the one of those ones that gave you a dime size portion of food in the middle of a plate.

"So, how's Alaïa?" I shrugged

"She's good. Being a good girl. Just that." I laughed nervously feeling out of place.

Not long after a menu was given to us and my eyes almost bulged out when I saw the prices next to the dishes. I looked up at Nathan to see if he had the same reaction I had but his face was calm. He was use to this and I clearly wasn't.

Get that Bread? Maybe head? And then leave? Definitely, But I don't know anything about head..maybe to piss off Oscar.

"So tell me your life story?" I chuckled at that.

"Well, 22. A single mother who's been through a lot, fighter? Urh...nothing interesting." I summarised because that was basically my life.

"What about her dad? I'm really curious about that. Because you hang out with Clara,and I've seen her boyfriend and they're apparently friends.." he gave me a questioning look.

"If you mean to ask me if he's a gang member..he was when I met him." Still is?

"Is that why you fell in love with him? Were you those girls that loved danger?" He questioned chuckling. My brows furrowed before answering.

"I'm going to be completely Honest with you. Yes the danger drew me in but he was.. no he is the most loyal person I know. He's..." I stopped for a minute smiling faintly. "...He's an amazing person." I finished but when I looked at him my smile dropped.

He gave me a sceptical look.
"Amazing?"

"Is it hard to believe because he's ....in a gang?" I questioned my voice raising defensively.

"It's not that. It's just you know how many cases of gang violence we receive at the hospital? You've seen it right... it's crazy." I forced a smile putting my clenched fists on my lap .

"So you live in Freeridge California and you expect anything less?" I questioned, smiling slightly at the waitress who put our drinks on the table.

"Nah, I remember one of my friend got shot because of a gang.."

"What did your friend do to get shot by a gang?" .

"Walking home..." he shrugged.

" Is that all he was doing?." He gave me a look as if I just slapped him in the face.

"They called him gringo. that's insulting. They're not really the most welcoming community to outsiders are they? I'm surprised they let you in considering the fact that you're black." My mouth dropped opened, I cleared my throat taking a sip of my drink.

"So,is he in Alaïa's life or?" I took a bigger sip glancing at my almost empty glass. I was going to need more of that to last through the night.

Who even said this was a good idea? Because I could see it now, I could absolutely never face him again if he says anything else.

"Yes he is. He's a very hands on dad. He's a chef..." I was interrupted by him this time

"Wow..so it's possible to make something else out of that life huh?" He chuckled in amusement taking a sip of his drink. My eyes narrowed at his face.

"You know they are people capable of doing great things right? Some if not most of them aren't really lucky enough to get out. Gang is not all about Violence you know.." I chipped in. This was suppose to be a date where we got to know each other but i was getting to know nothing about him and at this point i didn't want to.

"But that's all they're affiliated with. When the word gang comes up isn't violence the only thing you think about?" I looked away from him because he was partially right. Violence is the only thing people think gangs are about, no one's ready to talk about how they were created to protect themselves. How a gang was it's own little family

I looke down at my watch, only 30 minutes has passed and I was ready to get out of there.

I was thankful when the starter was placed infront of us but I groaned when I saw the plate.

This is called Food?