Chapter 6

I make my way down the stairs. It's almost six, Max should be here any minute now. I can do this. I take a deep breath and enter the kitchen. Dad is sitting at the counter, doing something on his laptop. His back is to me so he can't see me yet. Mom is rummaging through the fridge.

"Sophia, what would you like for dinner?" Mom asked before turning around to face me. "Where are you going?" She asks. This makes dad turn to look at me and his eyes widen.

"Um... I'm going on a date." I blurt. My parents look at me, stunned. They know that I almost never break their rules and have never agreed to go on a date with any of the guys who have asked me out. And trust me, there were a lot of them. Then, dad's face gets red from anger. Uh-oh. Not good.

"You are not going anywhere." Dad says firmly. "We have discussed this many times. You know that you are not allowed to date."

"Dad, please. I really like him. He is-"

"I said no!" Dad cuts me off.

"I am going on this date." I state firmly and confidently. I have no idea where this confidence is coming from. The door bell rings. "That must be him. I'm going to go." I turn to leave the kitchen when I feel a hand around my wrist pulling me back.

"Don't even think about leaving the kitchen. I'm going to go deal with whoever this douche-bag is." Dad says this and storms to the front door. I try to go after him but mom pulls me back.

"Stay. You don't want your dad to be more mad than he already is. And if the guy is worthy of you, I'm sure he won't be scare off by your dad." I raise my eyebrows at her. Dad can be really scary. He has the body of a body builder. "If that happens, your dad just might let you be with him."

"Sure." I ask.

"Sure." Mom kisses my cheek and pulls me toward the counter to sit down on a stool.

We sit quietly, trying to listen what dad is going to say to Max. We were surprised that we didn't hear a angry and heated discussion but a happy one. After a good five minutes, Dad and Max walked into the kitchen. Max gives me a big grin. I stand up to run towards him but stop and look at dad. He nods approvingly and smiles. I smile big and almost throw myself at Max. I drink in his scent. He has a citrus scent that I absolutely love. I hear mom and dad talk in the background but I just ignore them and nuzzle my face in Max's chest. I mumble a 'I missed you'.

"I missed you too Sugar." He says, kissing the top of my head. "Come on. We gotta head back to my place. Our dinner is cooking and we don't want my apartment to burn down now, do we?" I pout but pull away.

"Sophia, I want you home by ten. And no funny business." Dad says sternly and I groan at his last order. I feel my cheeks getting hot due to embarrassment. "And Max, remember the talk we had."

"Yes sir, I will. I will also get her back to you on time." Max says sincerely. Dad nods approvingly.

I say my good byes and give both my parents a hug before making my way towards the front door with Max. I was about to open the door when Max stopped me. I look at him, confused.

"Did you do your homework?" He asks out of the blue.

"No, I will do it when I get home." I shrug and go to open the door again but he doesn't let me.

"Why didn't you get it done before I came? You knew I was going to come get you at six. And I have already told you that school is a big priority." He said sternly.

"Sorry, Daddy. I just couldn't concentrate because I kept thinking about you." I whisper. I don't want to be in trouble. I really couldn't concentrate. I looked at him and my answer seemed to have melted him a little.