Chapter 9

I yawned as I was putting my black combat boots on. It had been the next day and I was prepping myself for my morning patrol. I stood in front of the mirror as I placed my hood up from my assassin uniform. I heard footsteps outside my room as I was putting on my mouth guard which made me furrow my eyebrows.

No one should be awake at seven in the morning seeing as the proxies weren't joining me for patrol. The other pastas go on a killing spree late at night, never in the morning, so who could have been awake?

I grabbed my dagger from my desk and made my way outside of my room. I closed the door and looked around to find him but it appeared I was the only one in the hallway. As I made my way to the staircase, I finally saw L.J at the bottom.

"Where are you going?" I asked him as I was going downstairs.

He turned around and showed me his famous smirk. "My dear Y/N, I could ask you the same thing."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm on patrol again," I replied as I stood next to him.

"May I join you? I woke up this morning with an urge to kill. It feels as if I haven't killed a child in ages," he complained. "And it would benefit us both. If your victim tries to flee, I can always teleport and kill them."

"I'll have you know none of my victims have absconded me," I growled. "I don't need your aid when I've gone on patrol for more than 100 times."

Some might say I let my pride get the best of me and truth is, I agree. I always hated getting called weak or even worse, knowing that people thought low of me.

He chuckled while raising his hands in surrender. "Calm down y/n, I know you take your little job too seriously," he joked as he patted my head which received a glare from me.

"Whatever, I'm leaving," I gritted out as I walked away to open the door.

"Wait for me!"

/~~~/

It had been over 30 minutes after we started on the patrol but got no sign of human trespassing. L.J would make a few jokes here and there but most of the time we were silent and on high alert.

"You know what's the best thing about children?" He asked me. I raised my eyebrow at him, not wanting to speak. "Their organs taste good!"

"And why are you informing me?" I asked.

"Because I think I spot a girl with her dad," he stated. We both hid behind a tree and waited for the man and child to get closer.

Once they were a few meters away from us, I noticed the girl was around 7 or 8. She had long brown curly hair with a pink dress but what caught my attention was that her legs had blood and she was crying. I widen my eyes as soon as I realized what he had done to her.

I felt a spark ignite inside of me. A feeling that I couldn't describe. I wanted to take out my anger towards him for what he did to the girl but for some reason, I couldn't hurt the girl. I had the urge to protect her. Never in my life did I felt sympathetic towards humans. I've killed babies, toddlers, teenagers, and young adults without having remorse or doubt. So why did I change for that one girl? I could kill her and end her petty life. I could make all her pain disappear if I murdered her but why can't I bring myself to do it?

L.J looked at me in confusion when he saw my anger expression. He knew I was pissed at the man.

The man threw the girl and grabbed a rock nearby. I felt my body move to him on its own.

"How old is she?" I shouted at him. He turned around and smirked. The girl raised her knees and started sobbing loudly.

"Look, kid. In case you didn't know, its not Halloween." He snickered. "And 2nd, who are you?"