17| Court

Alexa's POV
I couldn't say anything.

I have no idea what I want to do.

He's my daddy! I can't just turn my back on him.

He was only like that because he was ill.

He would never do those things in the right state of mind.

I just want to go back in time.

And be with Mummy.

She always knows what to do.

But I think they sense something is wrong. My big brothers look at me as if I'm so fragile. That I'll break at the slightest confrontation.

Well I'm a big girl and I don't need them.

I just need to be with my daddy.

But could I really leave my brothers who have been so nice to me all this time.

Alex, the brother who always made me laugh.

Josh or Simon, I can usually never tell them apart but they both shower me with tickles, kisses and cuddles.

Axl, the smartest boy I've ever met.

And Ed, the one who pretends to be so tough but knows I can easily break him.

No one in particulars POV
All the brothers were currently suiting up for court. Although none of them said anything, inside they were dripping with anxiety about the outcome of this day.

For starters, Alexa hadn't said a word. She just sat quietly and occasionally gave them all a small smile when she sensed they worried about her. But they could see though the tough exterior she was trying to portray.

"ALEXA, COME ON, WE DON'T WANT TO BE LATE" Alex shouted up the stairs, grabbing the girls attention. They heard a faint 'coming' beige they heard little footsteps tapping against the stairs.

"Okay Simon, have you got the evidence"

"Yep" he said, pulling a large folder out of his bag.

"And Alex have you got Alexa's updated statement?" Ed asked.

"Yeah" Alex said, checking the bag to make sure.

"And you said Adam and Andy were meeting us there" Axl clarified to Ed.

Adam was they're lawyer and Andy was Alexa's social worker. Andy had to be there with Alexa's file and evidence to prove that her dad was an unstable parent and Adam was there to answer (or deflect) and questions.
——————————————————————————

Alex, who had the attention span of a toddler sat there waiting for the stupid judge to stop droning on with his stupid judge terminology.

Alex' s POV
What did half that stuff even mean?

I waited patiently for the words: "Alexa can go home with you because her dads still an alky. I mean how hard would it have been to just say that?

Sure the evidence part had gone well. Ed's persuading skills were surprisingly good, no wonder he managed to have so many dates.

Oh my gosh why am I thinking of that?

Focus Alex.

I sat up and saw that everyone's turn to defend themselves was over and now the judge would have the result.

I looked across and saw him.
Daniel Hurley.
I could see the pain and anxiety in his eyes.
Wait no, I can't feel sorry for him!
He was the one who made Alexa how she was.
Then again, could you imagine the pain of losing the love of your life, then realising you have a grieving five year old depending on you?
No. I'm wrong. Ed's right. Alexa needs to be with us.

The river of thoughts kept leaking out of my head. But it was cut short when I looked up to see the judge speaking.

Crap I should probably be listening.

"So regarding Daniel Hurley's new turn around and considering both references. Alexa Hurley will have shared custody between Daniel Hurley and Edward Altham."

No

How is this happening?

———————————————————————————

A/N: Hi guys, firstly hope you're enjoying the book!!!

You don't have to read this second bit if you don't want to.
I am more than 100% certain I am overreacting but apart from the horrible hate private messages I get, someone commented this:

Yes I am aware that you are just going to go to that chapter and check who it was, but I thought I'd save this person some dignity

But can I just say this. I am not telling all of you to go and attack this person or boycott he/she's books. All I'm saying is, this might be a harmless comment, but combined with some of the hate I privately get, your comment could be the tipping point.

What's the point in spreading hate?
You don't get anything out of it so why don't you concentrate on your own sad life than spread your insecurities?

I am all open for constructive criticism. If this person had said:
'Hey, I thought her oldest was 21, surely that wouldn't be possible?'
Or
"Hey, love your book, but there are so many spelling mistakes, do you mind fixing them?"

Instead, I was called a stupid author along with some middle fingers.
Well newsflash, I DON'T CARE
I am only saying this to young authors who get hate.
Keep doing what your doing and don't let comments like this hold you back!

Needless to say, I am lucky that I don't get many public hate comments because I get such lovely readers, so thank you so everybody who has supported me!

Rant over.