35| SURPRISE

Warning: Flashback that talks about sensitive subjects.

No one in particulars POV:

"SURPRISE!!!!!" Daniel yelled as best as he could without deafening the girl as Alexa pushed his hands away from her eyes.

"NO WAY, DADDYY!!!" Alexa squealed in delight, tugging her dads hands towards all the snacks he had made. Despite her having to fake a reaction, the smile that was on her face was one hundred percent genuine.

Eyeing up all the cakes, she settled on a pink fondant fancy and began demolishing the goodness while Daniel internally sighed of a relief that the smallest things make Alexa happy.

Having said that, he did try his best to make it a good 'party'.

From the six a.m rush out to the supermarket to buy banners, balloons, confetti, you name it. He had gotten it. Rushing out to buy cake mixes to make her favourite funfetti cake despite going to 4 different shops to say if they had one already made was really the cherry on top to an exhausting day.

But it was worth seeing the joy in her eyes.

"Come on Lex, smile!" He said, pointing his phone at the grinning child, who was trying to stuff a whole Oreo doughnut in her mouth.

Alexa giggled as Daniel poked her sides, but being careful not to make her laugh to much that she'd choke.

"Come on Alexa, where's the doughnut, I thought you'd save me at least a bite!" He teased, bending down and wiggling his fingers from all sides into her torso causing her to giggle helplessly and try and get away.

"Dahahadddyyy" she squealed, although it came out slightly muffled, reaching out for a drink of the orange juice.

"Alright, pour me some, will you Lex" he said, looking through his phone at the photos.

Alexa lifted up the heavy jug, carefully trying not to spill the orange juice that was filled to the very brim while she poured her dad a massive glass.

"Here you go Daddy" she said, handing Daniel the glass carefully."

"Thank you sweetheart" Daniel smiled, taking the glass. But as he was holding the glass, thank god that Alexa's eyes had been drawn to the mini sandwiches, because he suddenly felt a jittering feeling.

It started off in his arms, which is when he hastily put the drink down to avoid any attention.

But soon enough. He could barely keep still because his whole upper body was shaking.

Daniel was attempting to tense up, to ease this sensation, but before he knew it, his breathing started quickening.

Taking long breaths as quietly and as subtly as possible so Alexa wouldn't get suspicious, he clutched on to the kitchen counter, trying to take long, controlled breaths. But his pulsating heart, that was beating him inside, as if he were getting punched in the chest repeatedly was failing.

These must have been withdrawal symptoms.

But the shakiness and uneasy feeling that was waking over his whole body.

He needed the drugs.

"Uh, L-L-Lex" he barely said, stuttering with every word, which thankfully went unnoticed by Alexa.

"Yes daddy" she said, not turning around as she demolished a mini pudding cup.

"I just need to go and get something. I'll be right back" he said, hastily stumbling out of the kitchen, bee lining to his bedroom where his stash was, which left Alexa wandering if her dad had run back to get her a present.