20| Welcome home princess

Ed's POV
Alexa and I waited in the lift until it hit the eighth floor.

Honestly, I didn't even know what to think.

From the looks of it, he owned a cheap studio apartment which didn't exactly scream 'Dad'.

But I swallowed those feelings and replaced my face with a smile, hoping to god that this was going to go well.

Actually. Did I want it to go well?

Call me selfish but did I really want this to go well?

Because if it did, we would surely slowly loose custody of Alexa.

And if this went badly, Alexa would end up getting very hurt.

Would that be the better option?
I felt bad even thinking about putting our feelings before here but selfishly I think deep down, I hoped this didn't go well.

But I shut my thoughts up quickly.

This is for Alexa.

No one else matters.

And soon we felt the eight floor ding.

Alexa's POV

I stood in the lift looking up at my big brother.

I hid my excitement because for some reason, every time I was excited to see Daddy, they would all tense up.

It's like they were angry or something.

I just hope Daddy is happy to see me.

I wonder if he would surprise me with Mummy!

After all, he said she disappeared.

Maybe that's why he got in contact.

Because he has found Mummy.

Then we could be a family again.

But wait, what about my brothers?

Would they come and live with us as well?

Would Mummy and Daddy move in with us?

I held my breath as the lift door opened.

Here we go.

——————————————————————————
No one in particulars POV

Ed hastily knocked on the flat door, still uneasy about the whole situation, contemplating whether to run away there and then. But he stood his ground and stayed.

As he looked down the corridor of the other flat doors, he scrunched his nose at the coffee stained and dust imbedded carpet.

This was a mistake.

But it was too late.

Scrambling and rustling was heard but the door was soon opened.

Ed walked in expecting to get a strong scent of either alcohol or cigarettes.

But to his surprise, despite the flat being very small, it was clear he had tried his best.

Ed glanced over to the kitchen table where most of the commotion had been at.

There was a card stood up on the table that Daniel had clearly try to make.

And furthermore, there was a slightly burned Paella and loads of sweets and cakes around

Ed looked around and couldn't help feel a pang if guilt. This whole way he had judged and hoped Daniel would do a bad job just so Alexa would live with them. But who are they to stop a young girl from actual happiness?

"Hi, Err, Daniel. We met briefly." He stuck his hand out to shake as professionally as possible.

"Hi, Ed is it?" Daniel said, with surprised confidence.

They both looked at each other for a couple of seconds before Ed snapped back to reality.

"So, all of Alexa's stuff is in here" motioning Alexa's tiny little suitcase. "And if you need to get hold of any of us, here are our numbers" he said, handing Daniel a folded sheet of paper.

Daniel looked at the sheet before setting it down.

"I'm sure there's no need, but thank you" he said, too distracted because he was trying to make eye-contact with Alexa who was not making it easy.

Ed couldn't help but evilly smile at Alexa.
That's my girl, he thought.

Ed bent down to Alexa's level and looked her in the eyes.

"Alexa, I'll be back to pick you up on Sunday, if you need anything, tell Daniel- I mean your Dad and he'll get it. Ok?"

Alexa nodded before looking down at the floor.

"So, I guess that's it then?" Daniel said, giving Ed a small smile.

"So yeah, I guess" Ed said, even though everything about this situation was telling him to leave.

Ed too one last look around walked out the door, giving Alexa a small wave and smile.

But that was It before the door was shut by Daniel.

"Welcome home princess" he said, smiling at Alexa.
——————————————————————————
A/N: hi everyone. As always, I hope you are enjoying the book!

Leave a vote if you're enjoying it and comment what you think might happen next.

Do you think Daniel set this up for the money?

Because many people don't know this, but if he were to foster Alexa, he would get money to look after her.

Or is he genuinely happy his little princess his back home?

And most importantly, is he going to lose custody?