41| Loan Sharks

A/N: hey guys, this chapter explains why Daniel was selling/taking drugs. Enjoy xx

No one in particulars POV:

Daniel repeatedly pounded his bloodied fists against the peeling wallpaper of his crumbling walls.

Breathing slowly, but heavily convinced even his neighbours could hear his desperate sobbing, all was broken when he fell silent from hearing three solid knocks on the wooden door.

Was that his door?

Who could it possibly-

But his thought train again, was broken by another series of solid knocks.

Five this time.

Hastily standing up, rubbing his dirty eyes to get rid of the thick salty tears, he brushed down his clothing slightly to get rid of the wrinkles in order to look a bit more presentable.

As he walked passes the large mirror, briefly looking to see if he looked somewhat alright, he didn't even bother looking through the peephole before he flung open the door.

And he sure wished he had.

2 large men, probably about 6'5 stared at him from the other side.

One was wearing a leather jacket and dark ripped jeans. He was head to toe in tattoos, with a couple of learnings in each ear. The other had a long navy trench coat on with baggy trousers and army boots on.

Oh dear.

Suddenly coming to his senses, his colour going back to a slightly normal colour from the shock that is in front of him.

He quickly tried to slam the door, but to his dismay, he was too late when one of the men's massive army like boots blocked the door.

"Open. the. door" the first man gritted, whispering slightly so none of the other apartments could hear him.

Daniels breathing quickened as his eyes darted around his apartment, trying to gain back some confidence and see if there was some way out.

Even if he did hate his life, even if he had made mistakes with his daughter, he would trade absolutely anything to see her grow up. So getting liked right now wasn't an option.

His eyes fell on the tiny scratched window, but as all the scenarios played in his head of him falling to his death, he knew that wasn't an option.

"We aren't messing, open up" the second man this time threatened, causing Daniel to snap back into reality.

"Right" the first man said, violently jerking the door back, causing the young man to fling backwards slightly as the two men entered the apartment, locking the door behind them and looking down at a terrified Daniel.

"So" the man with the leather jacket and ripped jeans said, scratching his disgustingly long beard, his grey eyes giving Daniel the death stare, before lifting him by the shirt and almost throwing him on the sofa, knocking down and smashing the framed photograph of him and Beatrix on their wedding day. That act alone made Daniel seethe inside, but looking at the men towering above him, he knew that wouldn't go down well.

"So come on, you got the money or not?" One of them said, pushing his shoulder slightly by force, spotting there gum out on the crusted carpet floor.

Lifting his fist up, to punch Daniel, Daniel quickly regained his strength to speak.

"No, no, p-p-please, I've got the money you wanted. He said, reaching under the sofa cushion to retrieve a fat envelope of cash.

Handing over the £250, 000, his hand shaking with fear, the wad was ripped from his hands and handed to the second man, who counted it.

The second man subtly nodded, before they both got up and made their way to the door.

"So what, are we done here or?" Daniel said, opening the door for them to leave.

"Done? Yes. But you even think about breathing this to the police, your little daughter and that sweet wife of yours will get it" he said, pointing at the cracked frame, before stomping off down the corridor.

Daniel huffed a sigh in relief, shutting the almost broken door and locking it.

His prayers were answered.

A few weeks after he had met Ed in the graveyard:

"Please, please, I'm begging you" Daniel yelled over the phone. He tugged his greasy hair in frustration, having not showered for days, trying to save money from water.

Despite trying to keep his minimum wage job, the hours were way to hard and tiring because of the added night shifts he was also taking.

In other words, he was fired.

"No I'm begging you, I promise I'll be able to pay you by next week, it's just, I'm desperate, I even-

Daniel huffed when he heard the other line click.

Looking down at his untidily written list, he crossed of the law firm before dialling the next place. But he realised, that none of the lawyers had sympathy for his financial situation.

So he did what he had to do.

Dialling a certain number, he waited for the other side to pick up before after three rings, the other side picked up.

"Hi, I heard you do loans for short notice"

A few hours later:

"Right so that's £20,000 by tomorrow? Thank you so much, I'll pay you back as soon as I can" he said, hanging up quickly, he tone reeking of desperation.

Putting the phone down, and rubbing his eyes of exhaustion, he knew that this is what he needed to do and what Beatrix would have wanted.

He had failed that young girl. But now he had some money under his belt and an ability to pay for a lawyer so he good fight for custody.

He knew he could be a good dad if he tried.

Maybe this wouldn't be so hard.

-end of flashback-

Daniel thought back to that day.

But how wrong he was.

There was a reason why those loans were so easy to get. Because even though he had only had that £20,000 for a week, by the end, he owed £100,000 and before he knew it, he was up to his eyes in debt.

So what did he do?

He returned to drug dealing.

The quickest way to get money.

But of course when you get addicted, you hurt people.

And that betrayal on the young girls face was enough to make him want to stop.

Because he had hurt her enough.

———————————————————————
A/N: hi guys, how did you like the chapter?

Now you know why Daniel was drug dealing. He was in debt trying to get Alexa back!!

Just a heads up, in approximately 6 chapters (might be more, might be less) this book will be finishing. There will be more info on my very last post what I'll be doing after, so stay tuned.

Just thought you'd all like to know.

Thanks xx