Chapter Three

-~=~-

The rest of the day went by without a hitch. (If without a hitch meant multiple staring contests with Annabeth, getting into a few arguments with teachers, and also spilling his lunch on himself, but that's all unimportant.)

Now, detention is where things start to get interesting.

Percy was no stranger to detention. Now, don't go thinking that he's this terrible kid. He usually got in trouble over simple things like being late to class and starting small, occasionally physical, fights with his peers! Nothing out of the ordinary.

Anyway, after his last class Percy made his way to detention. He said goodbye to his friends and walked into the class where he saw Mr. Blofis sitting at his desk. He gave Percy a friendly wave as Percy took a seat. There were a few other people in the room, but not very many. Percy noticed his friend Thalia was sitting in the corner of the room and nodded to her, she nodded back.

Percy was minding his own business, tapping his pencil against his leg as he stared out the window, when he heard the door open. Obviously, he couldn't help himself, he looked toward the door and saw the person he least suspected. Annabeth.

Of course, Annabeth immediately made eye contact and glared at him. He would've glared right back, but in all honesty he was too shocked.

Annabeth seemed to be this perfect picture. She was smart, athletic, musically talented, had a huge group of friends supporting her, and (even though Percy would never ever admit it to anyone) she was absolutely stunning.

Annabeth sat down in the seat next to Percy, still glaring at him.

Percy had a few snarky comments at the ready. Maybe, "Aren't there any other seats, Wise Girl?" or "Oh look, the little angel has fallen from the sky!" or maybe even "Well, well, well, look what we have here." But he didn't have time to say anything because as soon as he opened his mouth she cut him off.

"Not a word, Jackson." She quickly zipped open her backpack, pulled out some books and notebooks and started scribbling away.

Percy decided it was best not to say anything, even though as more time went by the more one liners he thought up.

After about ten more minutes (Percy really couldn't handle it) he ripped a piece of paper out of his notebook and quickly wrote on it, saying: "How'd you wind up in the slammer, Wise Girl?"

He crumpled up the note and tossed it to Annabeth, who was still scribbling in her notebook.

He watched as Annabeth unrolled the ball and read the note. She rolled her eyes and wrote something back. She tossed the note to Percy and he carefully opened it, not wanting to rip it.

It read: "I don't wanna talk about it."

Even though Percy was on a high from her being in detention (it was always a subject she brought up during their bickering, him always being in detention.) he felt a tad bit bad for her.

He wrote back, "I'm sure it's not that bad. Just tell me!"

After Annabeth read the note she stared Percy in the eyes and ripped it into tiny pieces.

Yikes, Percy thought, She is even worse than usual.

As soon as detention was dismissed, Annabeth stormed right out of the room, giving Percy zero time to ask her about it.

He just rolled his eyes and walked out of the school. He grabbed his skateboard from the bush and started on his way home.