Chapter Nine

-~=~-

Annabeth dragged Percy out of the cafeteria, leaving behind a bunch of insanely shocked boys.

Annabeth pulled him into the hallway and turned to face him. She took a deep breath and started talking.

"Percy, listen..." She paused. She was now fiddling with her hoodie strings.

"I'm listening," He encouraged. She wouldn't meet his eyes.

"C-Can we just forget it ever happened?" Percy was shocked. That wasn't what he was expecting to happen. It wasn't what he wanted to happen either.

"What do you mean? Annabeth, I haven't been able to stop-"

"Stop," She said in a quiet voice, "Please."

"Annabeth, I know we haven't always gotten along, but you can't deny that you felt something when we kissed!"

"That's...exactly what I'm doing, Percy." Annabeth seemed a little hurt to say the words, but Percy was too stunned to notice. He didn't say anything else. He obviously didn't want to pressure her, but he was so sure he had to be lying. He didn't say anything else.

"Percy?" He looked from the ground back up to her. "Maybe we could...try to be friends?" She sounded sad, but maybe a little hopeful too.

Percy knew there was no chance, that whole "we can still be friends" thing was bullshit. There was no way after seven years she was going to end a never ending fight and be friends with him. But...if there was a slight chance Percy might be able to spend time with Annabeth...he figured he should take it.

"Uh...yeah, sure." Annabeth wrapped her arms around Percy's neck, bringing him into a hug. Percy held tightly to Annabeth's waist.

They held on for a moment too long, because when they let go it was really awkward.

"Well, uh, I better get back to lunch, friend." Annabeth punched Percy in the arm on the word 'friend'.

Percy did finger guns in return as Annabeth retreated back into the cafeteria. He heard her giggle a little.

Finger guns!? Why did I do finger guns!!

Percy stood in the hall for a minute, thinking about what just happened. He just got friendzoned by the girl he hated the most in the world.

He rubbed the back of his neck and asked himself, "What the hell?"