Chapter Nineteen

-~=~-

"Where do you want to go?" Percy asked Annabeth as they started walking out of the skatepark.

"Ooo, there's this cute little diner not far from here! It's got great fries," She smiled.

"I do love me some fries," Percy added. They walked side by side in comfortable silence on the way there. Percy couldn't stop thinking about what had happened back at the skatepark. He wished Travis hadn't interrupted...whatever was happening. Percy was about to bring up the seven minutes in heaven incident when he yelled at them. Percy couldn't help his saddened facial expression. Annabeth seemed to notice.

"Percy? You okay?"

Percy tried for a smile. "I'm great," He said.

Annabeth rolled her eyes and scoffed, "Percy, I know we've only actually been friends-" she did finger guns, "-for a few days, but I have known you since you were twelve. I can tell you're lying,"

Percy sighed. Of course he was lying! But what was he gonna tell her?

'I know we've hated each other for years but when we kissed I couldn't help but feel something and now all I think about is you and I need to deal with these feelings I have, whatever they may be, so I can move on with my life!' Yeah. Right, He thought to himself.

On the other hand, Percy knew he had to talk to her about it.

"Annabeth, I was trying to say earlier-"

"Annabeth!" Percy heard someone call.

"Fucking shit!" Percy cursed under his breath.

"What was that?" Annabeth asked. Percy just shook his head. He heard Annabeth's name get called again and looked in front of them.

Walking towards them was a tall young man with sandy blonde hair. He had a scar running over his right eye. He approached Annabeth and wrapped her in a huge hug, and she obliged. Percy couldn't help feeling a little sting in his chest.

No! He scolded himself, You and Annabeth are just friends. Plus, it's not like this guy is her boyfriend or anything. I've never even seen him around before! Calm down.

"Luke!" Annabeth sounded like a little kid who just got the pony they had asked for for Christmas. "It's been way too long! Where have you been? How have you been?"

Luke chuckled a bit. "You're right, it has. I, uh, just started my freshman year of college, and it's a big change but I'm getting used to it. I've stayed in the area this whole time, I don't know why I haven't seen you around!"

Annabeth and Luke continued to talk and catch up, Percy standing awkwardly to the side. After a few minutes, he got sick of it and cleared his throat. That caught Annabeth's attention.

"Oh, um, Luke, this is Percy! Percy, this is Luke!" Percy shook Luke's hand (though it was rather reluctantly.)

"Nice to meet you, Percy," Percy hummed and nodded his head. Luke turned back to Annabeth. "Is this your boyfriend?" He pointed to Percy.

"What? No! Oh, no no no! I am very single." Percy had to admit that hurt a little bit. Annabeth couldn't possibly think that her and Percy had nothing.

"Ah, well, good to know," He winked at Annabeth. Percy felt like he was going to throw up.

"Uh, shouldn't we get going?" Percy urged Annabeth to continue their way to the diner. Annabeth seemed to remember what they were doing.

"Oh, right! We're going to get some fries at that diner, you know, the one we always used to go to?" She asked Luke.

"Oh, yeah! Of course I do, they have such good fries,"

"That's what I told Percy!" Percy cleared his throat again. "Well, we should go..." Percy thought he had almost escaped, but Annabeth paused and her eyes lit up.

"Luke, how about you come eat with us?" She asked him, practically jumping up and down.

"I would love to!" Luke seemed to notice Percy's disgusted look. "If that's okay with Percy, of course," He added.

"I'm sure Percy would love for you to come along! You don't mind, do you?" She gave Percy pleading eyes.

He tried to hide his anger as best he could, "Not. At. All."