3. Lies

The room was well-lit but small. You sat in a rolling desk chair in front of Detective Tsukauchi. He was smiling, but you could tell he was observing you.

"Well, would you like to get this started?"

"If we have to."

"Well (Name)-san, you caused quite a stir when you popped up in that classroom. Do you know how you got there?"

"Honestly, no idea, if you could tell me that would be great."

"Okay... Moving on. Do you have the intention to harm anyone at this school?"

"NO, God no. If anything happened to these people because of me, I'd probably die."

Well, maybe I'd fight them a little bit, this is a hero school after all.

"Hm... Do you know of anyone with nefarious purposes?"

Oh shit, the villains. I mean I know they exist, but I don't know them. Well, I know their backstories. Or you can guess at them. But I haven't had contact with them.

"Not, that I know of."

"I see. Do you know where you came from?"

"Nope."

Well, that was a bold lie. That kind of just came out without me thinking. Hope this doesn't get me locked up. Nah, who am I kidding, I'm screwed.

"(Name)-san, do you hear me?"

You blinked and looked back at Tsukauchi. "What?"

"You spaced out. Anyways, back to the questions. What would you do if we let you go?"

"Uh... have you guys found anything out about me?"

"No. You have no record. Not even a birth date on record. It's almost like you just appeared here."

Haha, yeah...

"Uh... Well, I could get a job."

"With what papers?"

"Guess I'll die or something."

"And if just dying isn't an option?"

Is he just trying to get me to say "Oh yeah, I'm going to be a villain and there's nothing you can do to stop me" right now? What is this?

"I'd be a criminal then. A villain if you will."

"What? Why?" Tsukauchi's hands tightened on the armrests of his chair.

"You said it yourself dude, I have no record and you said I can't die for some dumb reason. I can't get a job, and I can't do anything because I don't exist. So either I die, or I gain a will to live and become a villain."

"Do you really want to be a villain?"

"Not really, I'd honestly rather not. Seems like a lot of work."

"What do you mean?"

"Uh... hello? Having every hero go after your ass? Sounds like a shitshow. And besides, I do have a moral compass I think. I think I would find it more worth my while to help. Or something."

"Well, that's good in any case."

"Yeah, I guess."

"I just had an idea."

"Do tell."

"Would you like to come to this school?"

"UA?" Your eyes widened.

"Yeah! We could keep you on the path to heroism, and then you have a home!"

"Woah, Woah, Woah... What do you mean on the path to heroism, I was never off it in the first place."