Chapter 1

It has not yet been edited so please be gentle. Let me know what you think.

Bayne's POV

"What do you mean they got away?!" He screamed, his voice echoing off the walls so everyone in the compound could hear his anger. I stood there in front of him; my feet planted firmly underneath me, shoulder width apart, my hands fisted behind my back. The perfect warrior, only I had just failed my commanding officer, I didn't complete my mission and now I had to pay the price in blood.

"They knew we were coming. They were ready." I answered without emotion as I stare him in the eye, a risky move, but he couldn't do anything to hurt me. I was already accustomed to his 'teaching methods.'

"How could they have known? We took every precaution to avoid this." He paced back and forth in front of me, scratching his temple as if he was going over all the plans that were thrown together at the last minute. He wanted to come out of this raid with a prisoner, instead two of his hunters were dead and one was captured. "This is entirely your fault." I knew better than to argue with him, nothing I could say would change his mind. If he wanted to blame me it was best not to fight. But it was not my fault that the pack knew that we were coming. We had a rat in our group of hunters, or the pack had a Seer. "You will be punished Bayne, this will not happen again. Am I understood?"

"Yes sir."

"Take her to the basement. I will be down in a minute." He said to the man behind me. This guy was new, inexperienced and scared. The boy should be scared, he was dealing with the most powerful hunter there was and his little puppet.

"Yes sir."

-Down in the basement-

The crack of the whip was the only thing that reminded me that this was actually happening, there was no pain anymore. They always enjoyed finding new ways to make me bleed and suffer. Whether it was the cat of nine tales with silver tips or a new serum from the lab they always found it amusing when I was covered with my own blood. The worst they had done recently was when they would thrust a silver dagger laced with wolvesbayne into my side, right under my rib cage, and twist it an agonizing 180°. They used to do this regularly, but when they found that I was slowly becoming immune to silver and wolvesbayne my beatings became more sporadic, normally only happening when the lab had a new drug they wanted to test on someone, or when I failed to please Him during a mission. It was completely normal; I would come back from a mission, get escorted down to the basement and spend up to three weeks there.

"Don't disappoint next time." He sneered with another crack of the whip. I knew the answers he expected, he had fed them to me when I was younger, expecting that I would follow his rules blindly. I had to, I didn't have a choice.

"Never again sir," I replied in a grunt but still no emotions leaked from my lips, I learned the hard way to never show any kind of emotion. Emotion was a weakness that everyone would take advantage of.

"Put her in a cell." He ordered as he put the whip away and walked out; probably going back upstairs to his office to find another target for me to go after. Shortly after he was gone, I was tossed onto the cold stone ground in a cell by the guard that brought me down, the boy's face painted with fear after witnessing what he was capable of. He used me as an example for the new guard, the failed mission was just icing on the cake, he wanted to make sure this new guard knew that he was in control and if an order wasn't followed you get punished. After locking my cell door the guard ran up the stairs, probably to go empty his stomach in the toilet.

"You could have taken him." I heard the voice of the only man I ever trusted from the back of the room.

"You know I can't do that Aaron." I whisper. I was tired, I had just gone four days without sleep and endured an hour of being lashed; I didn't want to argue with him.