17 | first rank

↪ 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘬𝘯𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘐'𝘮 𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘍𝘶𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘮𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘥.
𝘐𝘵'𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘪𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯, 𝘔𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘥'𝘴 𝘧𝘶𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘧 𝘯𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘦. ↩

Sakura and Ino both walked together to their class an awkward silence existed between them which bothered Ino a lot, an uneasy feeling rose up in her chest

"Sakura," Ino called out to start a conversation.

Sakura simply glanced at her from the corner of her eyes. "Hmm," She said.

Ino was feeling so anxious with the tense atmosphere between her and Sakura that she stuttered for a while before she could say anything they reached their classroom. Sakura opened the door and both Ino and her walked in.

They then realised that they were the only ones who weren't seated. In fact, even Naruto was early today. They quickly made their way to their seats and then came in Iruka.

"Hello everyone, the result of the examinations is out now." Iruka said clearing his throat, "Now, as I call your names you must come forward and take your answer sheets."

"Shikamaru," Iruka called out and the brunette male muttered a 'troublesome' as he walked towards their sensei, taking the sheet from Iruka he walked back to his without looking at his marks and put his head down on the desk.

"Katsuki," 

"Mikasa,"

"Hisoka,"

"Tobio,"

Iruka called out the names of his students and each of his students came towards him, after seeing their marks there were only three reactions among them; happiness, disappointment or insensitivity.

"Naruto," Iruka called out to the village's troublemaker, Naruto bounced from his seat nervously and he didn't even have to look at his sheet to know what he scored, groaning he went back to his seat. 

"Ino,"

Ino confidently walked towards her sensei and took her sheet, she grinned smugly as she glanced at Sakura who faked a smile at her, Ino then looked at Sasuke to see if he was paying attention to her only to get disappointed seeing the raven-haired male look out of the window.

"Sasuke,"

When his name was announced several girls in the class squealed, a blush forming on their faces. He walked back with an emotionless face or so he thought, Sakura could see a tiny smirk that had formed on his face along with the prideful look in his eyes.

"Sakura,"

Hearing her own name being called out, Sakura quickly made her way towards Iruka she took her paper and smiled at her sensei which he returned, without looking she went back to her seat. She didn't have to look to know the results because she already knew what she had scored, she was confident.

Then she noticed Ino looking at her, a curious look on her face. Sakura only gulped as she gave her a nervous smile. When Ino saw her expression, her face showed a satisfied expression. Sakura silently scoffed seeing her so-called best friend.

'Best friend my ass, she could die for all I care for,'  Sakura thought to herself.

"Ahem," Iruka grunted, easily getting the  attention of his students, "Many students this time had got good grades and I'm proud of you all, as for those who didn't I only hope you work hard the next time."

He then walked to the centre of the class and with a proud look on his face he announced, "I would like to congratulate everyone," He then stepped behind his own desk and took out a paper. 

"And also announce the top five scorers of the class along with what they've scored." As soon as he said those words, the students began to chatter with each other about who scored the best marks in the class. 

"Silence!" Iruka raised his voice slightly.

"Now when your name is announced please stand up in your seats." He stated.

He then looked at his class, "The fifth scorer is," he then glanced at the said person, "Ino Yamanaka!"

"She has scored a total of 478 out of 500." He announced to the class, Ino stood in her seat proudly, her face glowing with arrogance.

"Next is Shikamaru Nara scoring a total of 481 out of 500," He looked at his student who grumbled before standing up, "The third spot goes to Hinata Hyuga with 487 marks!"

He smiled at the shy female who nervously stood, blushing at the attention she was receiving.

"Second place, Sasuke Uchiha with 489 marks!"

When Sasuke heard that he was in second place he frowned, his eyes glaring holes at the wall in front of him ignoring the stares given to him by everyone around him, he was used to it after all everyone just loved staring at him as if he was an animal stuck in a cage in a zoo.

"Now the first position goes to..." Iruka paused seeing anticipation and curiously on most faces, "a person who scored the most marks."

He chuckled seeing everyone groan, "The person scored full marks that is a total of 500 out of 500!"

Everyone gasped in surprise and Iruka continued, "Sakura Haruno!"

― Just like the canon Sakura, the fanfic version is also smart. I think she has the intelligence to go against the Nara's. 

― Shikamaru, like in canon, didn't give a shit about his achievements nor tried too hard so I think him being a fourth ranker makes sense. Of course, he could've tied with Sakura if he really tried.